Thread: "The Horn Guys" are no more...for now.

"The Horn Guys" are no more...for now.

hornguys.com redirects to lowbrasswerks.com as of the middle of May (2023).

From their FAQ:
    "We are currently closed to all new business and new sales. Existing orders will be shipped in a timely manner.
    If/when we do again offer services.... it's online sales of new European boutique brass instruments, cases and accessories."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	10521

I actually did business with Steve RIGHT BEFORE he shut down. In his last email to me he said, "I really did close and leave, lights off here, no new business, I need a break."

He was great to work with, so I selfishly would like to see him back offering products...but good on him for taking the time he needs.
    Last edited by iMav; 05-30-2023 at 09:51 AM.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Always sorry to see a "local to me" euph dealer demise. Even though I never anything from him, I enjoyed perusing his periodic offerings and heard good things about his resourcefulness and responsiveness.

--Arnie
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

I'm very sad to hear this! I did business with Steve before it was "HornGuys" and it was called "Ferguson Music" - it was in the late 90s. I do know he had grown very frustrated with Conn-Selmer as of late because of their poor quality control and other issues, and my local dealer has told me similar horror stories about their current situation. Steve was one of the first to recognize how great the redesigned Conn 88H trombones were that were coming out of the former King plant in Eastlake, Ohio after years of neglect - and I bought one from him in ~1997 or so and only sold it off when I got rid of nearly everything because of my illness in 2017. Steve/Hornguys always had excellent customer service, and one of his former employees, Noah Gladstone, now has his own separate store called the brass ark that specializes in the high end brass market.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

I bought my 5050 here. Steve Ferguson was a very attentive owner and had an eye for quality and detail. When I had some issues with my new horn, he steadfastly stood behind the issue until it was fixed. Sad to see them go for sure!
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Quote Originally Posted by tonewheeler View Post
    I bought my 5050 here. Steve Ferguson was a very attentive owner and had an eye for quality and detail. When I had some issues with my new horn, he steadfastly stood behind the issue until it was fixed. Sad to see them go for sure!
    How long have you owned your 5050?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    How long have you owned your 5050?
    Since 2010
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

I saw a post on the trombone chat forum that Horn Guys have "been taking a much needed summer break and simplifying life. Even the website is paused and relaunching shortly." According to the post, they are throwing an 80th birthday bash for Jim Self on August 24 with new instrument displays sponsored by Miraphone and Alexander.

Sounds like great news to me!
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone