Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha YEP-202M Marching Euphonium

Yamaha YEP-202M Marching Euphonium

About to add this to my instrument family. Also about to join a 50-year-since-its-founding community marching band. I will NOT be trying to use my very heavy Sterling Virtuoso as a marching euphonium (my back wouldn't allow it). So wondering how many if any of you have had experience with marching euphoniums. Back when I was last in a marching band (high school in the 60s), I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of such a thing. We just utilized our concert baritones (that's what we called them then; they were actually euphoniums). I love my Yamaha bass trombone, so figured I'd do OK by going with a Yamaha marching euphonium.

Thoughts?

--Arnie
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Good move (not using the Virtuoso for marching!). The side-valve design has many disadvantages for marching, and it would be a shame to mess up that instrument.

The newer invention of marching euphoniums would be a good way to point forward in a parade, but they also put a strain on your shoulders and back.

In the Coast Guard Band we used King Cleveland small euphoniums with 3 valves. They are light and well balanced for carrying and playing. Sound is decent. We used upright bells for some reason, but if I had it to do over I'd look for a bell front version. The better quality King 3-valve would also be OK, but a little heavier. If can find a front-valve bell-front American euphonium, most brands would be fine (Conn, King, Olds, Holton).

The marching euphoniums ARE fun to play around with, though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Marching Euphonium.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	592.6 KB 
ID:	10511
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Something like this. It is the cheaper version without as much of the fancy trim (and that saves weight!):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304950146113

It has a few dents already, so there is less heartache when the inevitable collisions happen!

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	10512
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I agree, a good move 'not' to march with a standard euphonium. When I marched in H.S. back in the 60s we also used the King Cleveland 3 valve horns but with bent bell. Not too heavy and sounded okay. When I marched in "USAF Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps" we used one valve and one rotor key of 'G' bugles. They were easy to march with but pretty bright sounding in key of 'G'. (image here). Glad they no longer use these.

The Yamaha 202 sounds like a good choice to me.
    Last edited by RickF; 05-23-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Having used a marching euphonium in drum corps (though not the Yamaha 202M, the corps I marched with used Jupiter and later King) as well as a marching baritone back in high school, I'm not sure I would recommend a euph for what you're looking to do. While not as heavy as a compensating euphonium, the bulk of the weight of the instrument is rather far out in front of you (like a giant trumpet) and can put strain on your shoulders/upper back and arms as Dave mentioned already.

An alternative that can be around the same price point (or even a bit cheaper, depending on condition) is the Yamaha YBH-301M marching baritone. It takes a large shank mouthpiece like the euphonium and has the same bore size, but is more compact and lighter weight, while still able to produce a quality sound. The valve block is also a bit closer to you, which can make it easier to hold up at playing position for longer periods of time.

Yamaha specs page:
    YBH-301M

YEP-202M

Comparison photos sourced from Facebook pages for Santa Clara Vanguard and Bluecoats, respectively:
    Baritone

Name:	280797082_10160007461965336_5403480192646228010_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	10513
    Euphonium:

Name:	12493964_10156437827595710_371744710300348443_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	10514
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

I will also second the idea that a marching euph/baritone have more strain on your back/shoulders than one might think. I marched these for four years in high school. By junior year, it wasn't so bad, but still not particularly comfortable. We had little competitions within the section called "circle of death" where we would stand in a circle and just hold the horn up for as long as possible. Last one to drop wins!
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

I marched with a “baritone bugle” in the USAF for a while (two valve). Lighter than what is being talked about here…and also I was young, so no big deal.

I’m in my 50s now and stick with trombone if I do any marching.
    Last edited by iMav; 05-24-2023 at 08:34 AM.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I marched a couple of times using my Mack Brass euphonium. I used a harness to support the weight. I found it restricted my view of section mates to my side and I was frequently getting out of line. My teacher and section mate, Rob Stattel, used a British baritone for one of the gigs, which was lighter than his usual Willson or his backup Besson.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I was section leader for Baritone Bugles (one valve) all during Navy Boot camp in San Diego at age 17. I don't recall the bugle feeling as though it weighed anything at all. But I think after playing my Sterling, any marching euphonium is going to feel light in comparison. The marching band I'll be joining does fairly short parade marching and a lot of playing in stationary mode. Not too concerned with weight issues, but I have to say this thread has garnered some very interesting testimony. (The things we put our bodies through to pursue our musical passions lol).

Thanks for all the responses.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

I own and prefer a bell-front (removable bell - very handy) Olds Ambassador 3-valve old-style "baritone".
    Its advantages:
    - Plays much better than my Yamaha marching baritone (esp. high range), with shorter, quicker valve throws
    - Superior ergonomics (weight held close to my body instead of cantilevered out). In fact, today's my birthday, and as my lower back enters its 6th decade, I pay dearly for extending weight beyond my core; the bill-come-due for years of poor posture and sports/activity abuse.
    - Varied grip/holding options to reduce hand/wrist strain & overall weariness. I really appreciate this on longer sets & gigs.
    - No lyre required. Cradling the horn allows off-hand music hold with infinitely variable adjustment (great for my aging eyes)
    BUT
    My son joined me in a rock/pep-band group (that favors marching horn form factor), so I gave him my marching baritone, and I'm (coincidentally today) purchasing a replacement.
    After attending 4 children's worth of marching events, I believe that bell-front euphs don't carry well, and the aural opportunity cost is high compared to marching baritones, or, better, more trombones (maybe it's the lower resistance? But even the bigger-belled trombones seemed to out-carry the baritones & esp. euphs during field shows).
    Also, marching euphs carry more weight further from my core than baritones (cantilever force multiplier - ouch), so marching baritone is my choice.

If what mattered to my group was musical quality, the Olds Ambassador would be a no-brainer. As it is, I'm intending to sell it. The valves are in good shape as are the body/lacquer, so I'm expecting $400 or more. One can probably find less of a looker for a lower price on eBay. I.e. I think these old-style horns are relatively cheap compared to the in-demand marching style horns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast