Thread: FS: Conn Connstellation 25i Upright Euphonium in Lacquer

Thumbs up FS: Conn Connstellation 25i Upright Euphonium in Lacquer

This is a nice-looking sample, but read the description for some interesting detail. Bid starts at $850.

SOLD FOR $910

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175717112417

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	10447 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	11 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	10448 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	10449 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	10450
    Last edited by davewerden; 06-11-2023 at 07:59 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Interesting horn - I had been contemplating getting a vintage horn like this. He says the mouthpiece is “in between” size - do y’all think most euro shank mouthpieces would fit?

Also valve slides and caps are stuck - I would guess most repair techs could fix that, but what do y’all think?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Connstellation shank is 11.8mm @ 1:20. The only thing off the shelf that I know of fitting decently is the KELLY medium shank. It's not perfect, but it's close enough to count, and you could do a lot worse than a lexan 5G. I haven't tested Schilke Euro shank, and I have no idea what Willson medium shank actually is, but most everything else is not compatible. Connstellation shank is not Besson medium shank (~11.7mm @ 1:19), and definitely isn't Bariton Schaft (11.5mm @ 1:20). Do not shove either one of those things into the receiver.

On the bright side, anyone that can make a "medium shank" mouthpiece can make this Connstellation shank. You can use the same backbore that you would for a Besson medium shank mouthpiece. The Conn 5 backbore would probably fit a small shank mouthpiece. Pretty sure they just used an old French Horn receiver reamer to make it, because it doesn't mate to the throat properly. Easily one of the worst commercial mouthpieces ever made. The 24/25I adapter is designed to just shim a small shank mouthpiece to the same gap as the Connstellation shank. There is no particular reason for this travesty. The Connstellation leadpipe does not have an annulus gap, nor is it the same bore as the old small(er) shank leadpipe.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Thanks much - I see this one already has a bid on it - given that I'll likely have to work with Doug Elliott to find something that will fit properly, I will not push this one much higher.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone