Thread: Need help identifying

1. Need help identifying

Hello everyone, I came across this Euph with serial number but can’t identify, can someone help please. Serial number n43844 with Bach Co mouthpieceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9030.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	10421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9029.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	900.4 KB 
ID:	10422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9028.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	753.1 KB 
ID:	10423
    Last edited by Minskiyd; 04-29-2023 at 08:53 PM.

2. Bracing and valve cap style looks like a Conn to me, and the serial number NXXXXX series, if it is indeed a Conn, would point to a manufacture date of around 1970. (source: Conn Loyalist Serial Number list)

Looks like it has short action valves, so it might be a Conn 20i? Conn Loyalist page with specs and photo of the 20i
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Fujifilm is correct. Conn 20-I. Not a bad instrument if you don't mind the cheap brass they were using at the time.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fujiifilm View Post
    Bracing and valve cap style looks like a Conn to me, and the serial number NXXXXX series, if it is indeed a Conn, would point to a manufacture date of around 1970. (source: Conn Loyalist Serial Number list)

Looks like it has short action valves, so it might be a Conn 20i? Conn Loyalist page with specs and photo of the 20i
    Thank you so much, sir!!! Any idea how much it might be worth?

5. Thank you, Sir!
    Any price advice if I wanted to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Minskiyd View Post
    Thank you, Sir!
    Any price advice if I wanted to sell?
    So, on the 'bay, I see a lot of postings with prices around $350 and significant shipping costs. I don't think many people are actually willing to pay that unless the horn is in pristine condition. If you look at the completed auctions, the ones that have actually sold through bids are around $165 plus shipping. Some others had initial prices of ~$350, but ended with accepted offers. I'm thinking that puts the actual selling price at something like $250-$300. I currently own two different 20Is, and that's the same range that I was willing to pay.

Selling points that your horn can offer:
    Pretty good condition with no obvious dents (very rare!)
    Has a case
    All the benefits of any 20I, but with a modern small shank receiver instead of whatever proprietary Conn thing

Cons:
    Late model Conn = cheap soft brass
    It's an American Euphonium, so not a big market

So yeah. Probably ~$300 would be the best price to be sure you get a sale. You could argue that this is too low, but a higher price will make it much harder to find a buyer. There aren't that many people looking for an American Euphonium, to begin with.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.