Thread: Screw Bell Adams E1

Screw Bell Adams E1

Schmitt Music in MN presented this prototype of a screw bell Adams E1 - sounded pretty decent, I thought! I would guess the heavier screw collar would change how this would play compared to a regular E1. Screw bell trombones are all the rage these days, and this approach has been popular with french horns for decades. Because the weight distribution in the bell has to be an important factor in how it plays, I've never heard someone do a comparison of a cut bell instrument versus a traditional bell setup of any instrument.

A CUT BELL EUPHONIUM?! Adams E1 Cut Bell Prototype Review - YouTube

Dave, I recall you had one of these to test a few months ago - I wonder if this is the same instrument?
    Last edited by euphdude; 04-29-2023 at 08:06 PM.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

IIRC, Engelbert Schmidt had a video on YouTube discussing the effects of the bell cut and how it can be beneficial, including an explanation of how an alternate option they offered was better. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that video. As long ago as this was, it was probably one of the videos that's only in German, and I only understood maybe 5% of it.

For French Horns, you pretty much just want as much weight as you can come up with an excuse for having. I hear the cut bell Trombones are much better for traveling. Presumably, the cut bell for the Euphonium is mostly intended to improve travel size with whatever other improvements being icing on the cake. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it looks like the bell cut is placed right where the taper stops being consistent. This could actually simplify manufacturing and allow for very interesting bell options, if true.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.