Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuba Exchange v. Eckroth v. Dillon

Tuba Exchange v. Eckroth v. Dillon

Who has purchased horns from any/all of these retailers? (Schmitt, Groth, and Popplers don't sell what I am looking for)

Just looking for info on experience, support, etc... (I actually HAVE purchased through Dillon and like them quite a bit.)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

2. Bought a tuba through Dillon Music about a year ago. (the one in my signature) Great experience overall. Honest description of the instrument. Shipped quickly, and was well-packed to survive the trip from NJ to CA. Very responsive to messages when I sent them, typically within a business day.

They also have a rewards point program for online purchases that is nice. Points earned can be redeemed for discount codes. And they offer an appraisal service which is free for instruments purchased from them. (I had this done when getting my main instruments that I use for gigging/teaching/travel insured.)
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

I purchased my M5050 from Tuba Exchange about ten years ago. Great service! They shipped it via a semi-tractor trailer strapped to a pallet. Great protection!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I purchased my M5050 from Tuba Exchange about ten years ago. Great service! They shipped it via a semi-tractor trailer strapped to a pallet. Great protection!
    Seriously? (Strapped to a pallet) That’s pretty funny. Was it shipped via UPS or FedEx?

When I met David Paulson In Minneapolis, I was a bit horrified to see he had stickers on his horn (M5050). To each his own…he does absolutely LOVE that horn though…he couldn’t stop talking about it. It was pretty cool to see how passionate he was about his horn.

Also found out that we will both be at adult camp up on the Peace Gardens this summer!
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I'm not familiar with Eckroth at all, but both Dillon and the Tuba Exchange have a long history of providing excellent service. They both used to regularly exhibit at the Army conference, but I haven' been since ~2017 or so - so I'm unclear if that is still true. I know less about the Tuba Exchange compared to Dillon. Dillon is a dealer for new instruments from most of the major manufacturers, and I bought a demoed Conn trombone from them a few years ago (that I sold last year). Dillon also has their own line of brass instruments - their 967 euphonium that I bought very slightly used is even better (for me) than the excellent JP274. Dillon also excels in selling used instruments. I've also purchased a number of accessories from them over the years as well, without a single issue, and they are the only retailer I know that has a decent selection of used mouthpieces as well - their descriptions have always been honest and the pricing fair.

For new major brand instrument purchases I've made, I've always patronized Chuck Levin's Washington Music and Baltimore Brass that are local to me. Recently neither of these shops are carrying much inventory of new euphoniums from the major companies - Baltimore Brass had a few new JP instruments and a couple of used Adams. And Chuck's had a silver Neo with trigger and a couple of Yamaha noncompensating euphoniums - that's it! And these are not small retailers. I don't know if this is a temporary supply chain issue, or a symptom of things to come from retailers, in general. Chuck's said they could order things from Besson, etc. for customers that wanted it, but they almost never keep them in stock anymore because the margins are so thin.
    Last edited by euphdude; 04-25-2023 at 08:08 AM.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

There is one store about an hour from me that MAY be able to order what I am looking for.

My choice may come down to return policy. (would be a special order for everyone I've spoken to so far (INCLUDING Thomann Music)...and, as such...no returns allowed.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I purchased my M5050 from Matt Walters at Dillon... Truly a great guy with a wealth of technical knowledge and experience... Fab communication and service. My M5050 arrived in its Miraphone case. The case inside a sealed super-sturdy carton filled to the brim with foamy urethane butterfly-like thingis. Critter was delivered by FedEx on boxing-day 2022 (Dec 26th).

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Was forgetting.... I paid 50% down at ordering time, and the balance at shipping time from the Dillon warehouse. FedEx Ground shipping was free.

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post

My choice may come down to return policy. (would be a special order for everyone I've spoken to so far (INCLUDING Thomann Music)...and, as such...no returns allowed.
    That is exactly the message I got from Chuck's regarding anything but more middle of the road choices - Yamaha for sure, but also the Shires Q series and the standard selected Adams. They gave the example of Besson in my conversation with them recently, but they have been a long time dealer of both Shires and Edwards trombones - but they only are willing to order the standard middle of the road choices to keep in stock - and if I were in their shoes, I would likely do the same - it is a large investment of resources on behalf of the retailer for someone who may be perfectly happy with the standard instruments at a lesser cost. If you are really into exploring all the custom trombone options, you can go to the factories in WI and MA to test a dizzying array of bells, tuning slides, valves, and leadpipes. I don't know if Adams has a US location where you test all of those options instead of having to go to the Netherlands factory.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Was forgetting.... I paid 50% down at ordering time, and the balance at shipping time from the Dillon warehouse. FedEx Ground shipping was free.
    What was the determining factor in choosing the lacquer finish? Ease of care (on of the main reasons I like lacquer), price, or other reason?
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast