Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 5 valve 2280 rebirth project

my 5 valve 2280 rebirth project

i know this probably sounds like the most needless project in the world. I own 4 euphoniums, and haven't played my 2280 since I bought my packer 274 several years ago. And now, I own what I could make the bias argument that I own the best euphonium in the world, my just about one of a kind, short action, Sterling silver bell Adams E3.

But my old king 2280 still has a soft spot in my heart. Fantastic intonation, Four quick, short, light valves all in the right hand, and it sits a little taller than a British style Euph, which is nice for someone my height (6 foot 8..). I liked it enough at one point to turn it into a full Chromatic instrument by adding a 5th valve to it.

When I bought the horn it was a wreck, dented to hell with terrible lacquer. I got out the dents I could and gave it a satin finish with steel wool, and then sprayed nitro lacquer over it. It looked decent for a while, but the lacquer didn't hold up to every day use. In the back of my mind I thought I was going to find a silver body for it, transfer the 5th valve to that, and THAT would be my forever Euphonium.

Then Rob at John Packer got me a great deal on the 274, and then I splurged on the Adams last year. The king sat and sat

Then I found a silver 2280 body with parts missing on Ebay dirt cheap. the body was in great shape, with the exception of the parts that were missing. I bought it, polished it up, and started to take apart the ugly horn.

The plan is to polish the brass parts from the old king and sent them off for bright plating, Re build the 5th valve tubing to make it even better, make a new 4th valve circuit because I never liked the factory design of the old one, build a proper valve return because I was never happy with the Carburetor spring I used on the first design, and put it all together for a rebirth.

Will I ever play it? I'm not sure. It depends on how much I love it when I put it back together. The tuba player in me really likes the 4+1 config, so we'll see. I already have offers on the Adams if ever wanted to sell it, but I'm really enjoying that one too.

photos of the project at the link below

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2o?usp=sharing

more to come!
    Last edited by 58mark; 04-18-2023 at 08:57 PM.

Very cool project Mark! Please keep us updated!

BTW - is your 5th valve going to be in Gb like the new Adams sonic introduced at the Army conference?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Nope, I like the flat whole step all tubas use these days. I just think it makes more logical sense. Eb is 4-5, C is 2345, and B is 12345, and if your 2-4 combinations are sharp, 235 is a great option

Tubas used to be available with a longer 5th, but it pretty much went extinct eventually.

Good moves, Mark.

I love getting horns to behave, i.e. my euph trigger system.

My friend, a tuba player with the Phoenix Symphony is really into customizing his horn.

It is butt-ugly, but plays like a dream throughout the range. I gave him a good heat gun, it could solder without direct flame effects.

Dennis

I love your posts about this horn. They make PERFECT SENSE to me.

If I had the skill, or access nearby to an imaginative repair/reconstruct person, I’d be doing what you’re doing, with my wonderful Willson.

I can’t wait to get my Adams Sonic 5 valve. I’m hoping it will allow me to move forward with my playing. Already I can foresee advantages.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting!

Before I got the Packer and the adams, I looked for a willson to try and perform this same procedure on. Never found one that I could try before I bought it.

got the parts polished, hopefully sending them to Anderson's tomorrow or Friday

7. I followed your old posts on your 2280, and they inspired me to get a 2280. That horn would be great with a 5th valve for an extra low range. I eventually sold it because I prefer the front action valves over top action. I'd really love to play your 2280 setup. I've been looking for a valved instrument that could be used in place of a bass trombone, again for ergonomic reasons. If you ever get rid of that 2280... put me on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbolica View Post
    I followed your old posts on your 2280, and they inspired me to get a 2280. That horn would be great with a 5th valve for an extra low range. I eventually sold it because I prefer the front action valves over top action. I'd really love to play your 2280 setup. I've been looking for a valved instrument that could be used in place of a bass trombone, again for ergonomic reasons. If you ever get rid of that 2280... put me on the list.
    Sure thing. I really like the way these play, but because I already have my adams, it's not likely to get much playing time. I jumped on the silver body because It was always in the back of my mind that I would transfer the 5th valve to a silver body someday, just because I never liked the look of the old scotch bright finish, and if I was playing it or selling it, I just wasn't happy with how it looked.

The new one should be nice looking and a lot of fun to play.

Sent the parts off to Anderson's yesterday, Hopefully they will back in 2 or 3 weeks

Dennis, is your friend Dave Pack? I remember him from Indiana University
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Indeed he is. I took lessons from him a few years ago, a really great guy. All lungs, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast