Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my 5 valve 2280 rebirth project

THe parts on on their way back from andersons! should be able to start the rebuild in the next week!

I finished putting it together today. I'm sitting here kind of stunned because it's not good, it's great. It plays much better than my old one. It plays so good I'm thinking about selling my very special short action sterling bell Adams euphonium and playing this one full time. That seems like such a stupid idea, but as a tuba player I really like playing the five valve non-compensating instruments better. Intonation and tone is fabulous, I need to do a serious back and forth test in an auditorium for people whose ears I trust to tell me if I'm crazy or not. I'll post some pictures after I clean up some solder joints and polish some cloudy silver.

I can't believe I'm actually thinking of playing a King over an adams, but the money I sell the adams for could fund 2 projects I have been wanting to do. (One is classic car related and the other is music related) I also have the packer 274 still, and it deserves some love and respect. Oh yeah, I have a 3 valve compensating besson. Did I mention my main instrument is TUBA???

here's the pics. My work isn't perfect, but I made it work with the parts I had on hand.

The valve I used is a smaller bore than the tubing I used for it, so I had to get creative in adapting it up then back down.

I'm glad I rebuilt the 4th valve circuit. Never liked the way it was from the factory.

here's the pics
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2o?usp=sharing

Another homebrew that actually improved upon the original design.

Kudos!

Dennis

Thanks. There are a few things I like specifically about this design

1. Compared to most compensating euphoniums, the valves are light, quick, and short. If course not as short as my short action Adams, but better than almost all

2. It sits taller than most horns, which is nice because I'm 6 foot 8

3. The low range blows very free because of the lack of the compensating system

4. And of course, my tuba Brain likes 4 valves in the right hand

Nice job Mark! The 5th valve looks like a great setup and easy to use too.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

That’s great Mark! I love the concept of yours and the new Adams 5 valve - noncompensating euphs, for me at least, have such a better response in the low register.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Congrats Mark... Looking forward to hearing your super-King in future videos!

Regards, G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12