Thread: Stains on a new Shires Q41S

Unhappy Stains on a new Shires Q41S

Hi Everyone,

Recently I’ve also joind the club of Shires Q euhphoniums, I’ve received a Q41S. But.. it has some stains on some of the tuning slides (see photos here). I’m not sure whether the seller shipped me a used/demo instrument or is it manufacturing defect or maybe it’s a quite common situation for new instruments that were in the warehouse for a long period of time?

It’s probably not a silver tarnish as I was not able to clean it if silver cloth or Hagerty silver cleaner (fuild, not spray). I didn’t want to try anything abrasive just yet.

What’s your opinion on such matter? Would you keep an instrument or return it or ask for a partial refund or try changing to another one or do something else?

Greetings,
    Giedrius

Welcome to the forum! Your post was quarantined by the system until now, so no one could see or answer your question before.

I have to say that what I see in the photos looks like abrasion damage, perhaps before plating was done, but I suspect it was after.

BUT, this is only what I perceive based on photos, which are not great for showing this kind of issue. Is there any surface irregularity that you can feel?

Asking for replacement slides might be possible. It depends on how their assembly works as to whether any Shires 2nd valve slide would fit any Shires horn, for example.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Based on what I see in the photos and the fact it is supposed to be a new instrument, I would certainly ask for replacement parts. If that is not possible (i.e., they can't guarantee the same fit), then I would ask for a replacement horn. Top line euphoniums should not have this kind of "damage" on them, in my humble opinion.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

What has the seller said on the matter?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Hello,

Is your Q41 a new/factory-fresh unit, or is it a demo/B-stock horn?

Did the seller disclose the blemishes and/or provide photos, or did you purchase totally sight unseen?

Can the price you paid account for the blemishes on the horn, or did you purchase at full retail price?

Regards, G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Hi everyone,

Yeah, I've purchased it on an e-shop in Germany without seeing it first (https://www.fmb-direkt.de/en/). The seller looked quite reputable, they have clearly separated the used instruments from the ones that supposed to be new. But I actually forgot to make sure and ask if it's not a demo unit. Which I now suspect, might be, because it's hard to believe that Shires would let such instrument pass the quality control. Also they have not marked it as the demo unit and there was no discount that would suggest that. The shop has not responded yet. But I can't complain to Shires directly as FMB is not an mentioned as 'Authorised Dealer'.

Though I still have few days to ship it back without any reason and request a refund according to the shop policy (which must follow EU policy).
    Giedrius B.
    Euphonium hobbyist

John Packer JP274,
    S.E. Shires Q41

To answer Dave's question - yes you can feel those stains, the surface is a bit rough. However no other tuning slide or part has anything like that. But I'm afraid it can start getting bigger over time (sooner than later).
    Giedrius B.
    Euphonium hobbyist

John Packer JP274,
    S.E. Shires Q41

Then I would suggest you don't simply keep it. Either get replacement parts or a refund. Shires is relatively new to the euphonium market, but their trombones have much more history and have a very good reputation. However, I have known of a trombone that was delivered with bad lacquer on the bell (the company re-lacquered the whole horn without question).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The end of the story - the shop kindly replaced the instrument to the pristine one, no problems with the international shipping. Therefore I'd highly recommend FMB Direct for players in EU.

The new one Q41 sounds great as well, the pitch is much better as well, I even need to pull the main tuning slide 1/2" in order to get it in tune in the whole range (having A=442Hz as a base). The previous/demo unit was flat (just like in the David's chart shown somewhere here in the forum). So it's worth trying out few of them before judging.
    Giedrius B.
    Euphonium hobbyist

John Packer JP274,
    S.E. Shires Q41