• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StarGemini
    • Feb 2022

A Good Eupho Case

Hey all!

Since I last posted, I managed to get myself a B&H 967. It was a lucky find, being in the back of a band closet and it hadn't been played for 15 years. The band I was borrowing it from had no intention of selling it originally, but I managed to get it to be mine in the end. It has its quirks with its pitch on some notes, it's something I'm still getting used to. Now, I'm coming across my second dilemma, finding a case to bring it along with me to the various places I go. I've looked into quite a few threads here already, and even though I was hard set on trying to find a good hard case, the steep prices have made me steer quite clear from getting one.

What I'm after is probably a fantasy of a case, however, I'm hoping I can find somewhat of a compromise between them -
    ~ protection - at most, it'll need to be able to handle being tossed (not literally) under a bus, and a few bangs if I were to turn around neglectingly.
    ~ durability - I'll be using it for years to come, so it needs to be able to hold up over time.
    ~ comfort - it'd be nice if I could sling it over my back or my shoulder and won't take a toll on them.
    ~ accessory pouch - this might seem a little petty, but the presence of an accessory pouch is a make or break for me. I need one, and whilst one large enough to fit some music would be nice, it's not necessary. Just the standard stuff at least (valve oil, a mouthpiece pouch, etc)

I'm quite open to gig bags, only thing is that I can't really trust myself to keep it bang-free a lot of the time, so some protection would be nice.

Here are a few I'm considering, in no particular order.
    1) Cronkhite Gig Bag
    2) Altieri Gig Bag
    3) Protec Euphonium Gig Bag (I've read however, in quite a few places that people's Protec broke within a year or two of using it)
    4) JP Pro (I would take the Marcus Bonna case if it weren't as expensive as it is)
    5) Last resort is just to get a hard case straight from Besson (~$1000 AUD). It's pricey but at least I'm fairly confident it'll hold up.

A nearby music store stocks the Protec Gig Bag and the Gard Wheelie, so they'll be easier to get than the others I've mentioned (I live in Australia). I have a friend who is currently using the Protec and says she's rather fond of it, but I can't say I'm not as careful as her.
    If you have any other suggestions, hard case or gig bag, please tell, but for now I'd just like your experiences with the cases you have currently, as everyone seems to have a different one that they vouch for.
  • iMav
    • May 2011

They would be pricey, but if you want great protection, chat with Mr. Mead. He is promoting a new hard case from Wiseman. (I’m getting my with optional wheels!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	98401322-3030-40EC-8936-4A550FF62BFA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	119358Click image for larger version

Name:	DC6620D8-25DE-42E4-A24C-8A58F6500AB5.jpeg
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	119359Click image for larger version

Name:	D4049A3B-1FAD-4382-A9D5-E5DC4A9EB488.jpeg
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	119360

Name:	4FAD59F7-AF6F-4EDF-82E1-8552C0BBF4BA.jpeg
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	119361Click image for larger version

Name:	A521D843-C693-404D-98BB-1E94FBB4676E.jpeg
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	119362Click image for larger version

Name:	353E71A3-3605-4F76-8EB1-087685F5F181.jpeg
Size:	691.5 KB
ID:	119363

Name:	344E6F4C-3C76-4D9A-BD40-46C75594C757.jpeg
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	119364Click image for larger version

Name:	C7C6B0C4-463D-419E-B85B-F439E84BB19A.jpeg
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	119365Click image for larger version

Name:	65AF4BF6-4204-4159-A3D8-F7BA38DCC832.jpeg
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	119366

Name:	EC0C1B97-4A36-421A-A953-DFB843EDAC67.jpeg
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	119367
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• Shinn
      • Feb 2020

Below are links to some threads on cases. My recommendation is for either a Cronkhite or Marcus Bonna case.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...m#.ZChjd2QpAWM

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.ZChjx2QpAWM

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...n#.ZChi_mQpAWM
      Last edited by Shinn; 04-02-2023, 01:02 AM.
      David Shinn
      Peninsula Concert Band
      Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
      1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
      1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
      1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
      Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

For a little less than the case iMav mentions, you might try the case that Adams uses: Marcus Bonna:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...a#.ZChjh3bMLre

Light and strong, and very compact. It has a zip-on/off accessory bag, so the bag can be used alone if you like. The Bonna case is much better protection than a gig bag can provide. It comes with back pack straps. But note that any hard case slung on your back will less comfortable than a nice gig bag.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
          For a little less than the case iMav mentions, you might try the case that Adams uses: Marcus Bonna.
          He mentioned “JP Pro”…which I assume is the John Packer-branded Marcus Bonna case JP sells (and includes with the JP374). It is currently what I carry my Sterling around in.
          Groups
          Valley City Community Band
          Valley City State University Concert Band
          2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• StarGemini
            • Feb 2022

iMav, has there been a price put on them yet? I couldn't find it in the info page on Steven's website. Dave said the Bonna was a little less, so by how much is it a little steeper than the Bonna?

For the record, the same local music store sells a Marcus Bonna case, however, it's remarkably more expensive than usual, even accounting for shipping. Sells for $1,795 AUD ($1,200 USD), whereas another music store sold it for $1,295 AUD ($860 USD), the latter price being closer to the prices I've seen in the States. That store has sold out on those cases now, and I'm not sure if/when they'll get them back in. Not entirely sure why the former store's price is so high, but I'll be asking them to check the price again if the new Wiseman case is more expensive still.

Comment

• MichaelSchott
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by StarGemini View Post
              iMav, has there been a price put on them yet? I couldn't find it in the info page on Steven's website. Dave said the Bonna was a little less, so by how much is it a little steeper than the Bonna?

For the record, the same local music store sells a Marcus Bonna case, however, it's remarkably more expensive than usual, even accounting for shipping. Sells for $1,795 AUD ($1,200 USD), whereas another music store sold it for $1,295 AUD ($860 USD), the latter price being closer to the prices I've seen in the States. That store has sold out on those cases now, and I'm not sure if/when they'll get them back in. Not entirely sure why the former store's price is so high, but I'll be asking them to check the price again if the new Wiseman case is more expensive still.
              I saw where introductory pricing for the first 30 was under $900.00. I’d guess regular pricing between $900 and $1000 but I have no real knowledge of the retail pricing.

Comment

• highpitch
                • Mar 2006

I vote for the Bonna. Great protection with style & usability.

They turn up on here and eBay now & then. I got mine in like-new condition for $500.

Perfect fit for my New Standard.

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by highpitch View Post
                  I vote for the Bonna. Great protection with style & usability.

They turn up on here and eBay now & then. I got mine in like-new condition for $500.

Perfect fit for my New Standard.
                  Love my Bonna case. Only complaint is weight which is needed for protection and interior storage is lacking.

Comment

• cpoet89
                    • Mar 2016

Just to throw out another option, I have a Soundwear gig bag and would definitely recommend it. I got mine close to 10 years ago and I've been extremely pleased with it. It's technically a "soft" case, but the material is very sturdy, and the bell area is reinforced. I've actually accidentally dropped it once or twice while carrying it on my back, and the horn has been totally fine. The zippers are heavy duty and still feel as good as when I first got it. Very comfortable backpack straps. And it has TONS of storage space.

The only possible downside would probably be price. The company is based out of Germany I believe, and is listed at 568 euros. I have no idea how much that would end up costing you in Australia.

Comment

• aroberts781
                      • Sep 2014

Currently the only case/bag I have for my euphonium is my Altieri gig bag, which I love. I think it meets all of your criteria with flying colors... except for maybe protection. I have had no issues with small bumps getting it around the house, on trains, and around town on the rare occasions I have taken it out and about in Chicago, or getting to rehearsals and performances in my own car. But anything beyond that... well it is just a padded bag.

I have no first hand experience with the MB cases but it certainly seems that it gets the closest to everything you could ask for in most settings.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how the JP Pro bag compares to the Bonna?

I will also add that when David Shinn shipped my New Standard to me it came in a wooden case that seemed well built and sturdy, although heavy. That case ended up moving on with my Schiller when it found a new home, but for the brief while that I had it I enjoyed it. Of course it was heavy, and had it left the house I might not have enjoyed it as much as I did in the corner of a closet.
                      1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
                      1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• StarGemini
                        • Feb 2022

Weighing up everything, I'm leaning towards getting the Cronkhite with Cordura, seems like good value for a good package.
                        The Bonna case does look very nice, but only one dealer in Australia is currently selling it, for a price much higher than what it is in the States. Emailed another vendor who sold it for less and am currently waiting to see whether they're willing to sell it again...

But... at the same time, I'm tempted to wait for that new Wiseman case iMav mentioned... there's a lifetime warranty involved, which does make it highly tempting, especially if Michael's price estimates are right...

Comment

• StarGemini
                          • Feb 2022

Originally posted by aroberts781 View Post
                          Currently the only case/bag I have for my euphonium is my Altieri gig bag, which I love. I think it meets all of your criteria with flying colors... except for maybe protection. I have had no issues with small bumps getting it around the house, on trains, and around town on the rare occasions I have taken it out and about in Chicago, or getting to rehearsals and performances in my own car. But anything beyond that... well it is just a padded bag.
                          I have considered Altieri, but I still don't trust myself with that little protection. Of course, that isn't to say that Cronkhite is a lot better (from what I've read), but something that's even just somewhat better in protection is a win for me.

Comment

• StarGemini
                            • Feb 2022

Just as an FYI, got a reply back from Mr Mead, turns out the shipping cost to send one of his cases to Australia is going to be about £400. Yikes! On top of the case, it'll be a shocker of a price, that's for sure.
                            I'll be emailing Glenn Cronkhite to see what the shipping costs might be for one of his bags, if it's not enough to make my wallet cry, then I might pull the trigger on it.

Comment

• anadmai
                              • Mar 2022

I picked up a Soundwear Professional. Nice bag. Well made. Sturdy.
                              DANA

Meet the Family
                              Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
                              Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
                              Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
                              Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
                              Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
                              Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
                              Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

Working...
                              X