Thread: Lubricating valve caps

Lubricating valve caps

Hey Y'all - I had been watching some of the Wessex maintenance videos, and on one of them concerning the valve caps, they suggested lubricating them as well. I had never contemplated doing that in the past, but then I found Dave's excellent article on this forum suggesting the same thing. Seems like a great idea to me.

My question is related to both Wessex and Dave recommended using slide grease. At first glance, that seemed a bit messy to me, so I used the Bach tuning slide grease that you squeeze out of a bottle. I just put a small drop on the threads on the valve casing. Even that caused a little mess that I had to clean up. What about more regularly using a lubricant that has lower viscosity? For example, something like this?

Superslick 12378 Key and Rotor Oil - 0.5 oz | Sweetwater

I think these needlepoint oilers are very convenient - I have a couple of these as these are great at putting a small amount of heavier oil on rotary valve spindles, but couldn't something like that work on the threads of valve caps? This design certainly allows for more precise placement with less mess.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

I mean, pretty much anything you can put on the threads will be helpful. The problem with slide grease, and this depends on brand, is with some formulations if even just a tiny bit ends up migrating to the piston itself it can be a big drag.

I used to use the Hetman MIG #10 for this purpose, but I've been moving away from Hetman products.
    --
    Barry

Like you, I lube the threads on the valve casing that the valve cap screws on to. Just a couple of small dabs will do, as screwing on the valve cap will distribute it. I take a clean rag to clean the inside of the casing to eliminate any stray lube. I’ve been using “plumber’s silicone” lube available at the local hardware that I read about on this forum. (Current brand is “Danco Waterproof Grease” which comes in a small tube.) Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    The problem with slide grease, and this depends on brand, is with some formulations if even just a tiny bit ends up migrating to the piston itself it can be a big drag.
    Totally agree - I didn't like my chances with taking something like a traditional tuning slide grease that you apply with your fingers, applying to threads, and somehow avoiding getting grease on the piston itself. The Bach slide grease-in-a-bottle was ok, but even then, by aiming low on the threads, some grease came out when I was tightening the threads. The needlepoint oiler in my mind is perfect for an operation like this.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Another approach of using tuning slide grease (e.g. La Tromba cork & slide grease, Superslick tuning slide grease) on the threads in valve caps/bottoms is to strategically apply a light amount using the end of a q-tip. No mess. Direct application. Clean.
    Last edited by Shinn; 04-01-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

I’ve been putting a tiny bit of slide grease just on the bottom valve caps - not the top caps. I’ve had no problem using Hetman 7 which comes in a squeeze bottle.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

One thing to keep in mind is that you can tighten them down more if they are lubricated. So, if they end up drying out, they will be more difficult to remove. Not an issue with the top caps, but it could be an issue with bottom ones.

Mike