• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CousinJack
    • Apr 2020

Mouthpiece re-plating recommendations and experiences

Hi all,

I am really getting on with this K&G mouthpiece that I bought back in December. So much so that I would like to get the rim re-plated in gold. I was wondering if anyone has had a mouthpiece re-plated, their experience of it, and hopefully some recommendations for it being done in the UK?
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+
  • enhite
    • May 2012

A friend was taking her instrument to a repairman and I gave her my Wick 4AL Heritage to get the shank trued. (I had dropped it.) It came back with the rim also replated and has been fine ever since. (Sorry, the repairman is US based and I can't give you a recommendation in the UK. Best of luck.)

Comment

• franz
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by CousinJack View Post
      Hi all,

I am really getting on with this K&G mouthpiece that I bought back in December. So much so that I would like to get the rim re-plated in gold. I was wondering if anyone has had a mouthpiece re-plated, their experience of it, and hopefully some recommendations for it being done in the UK?
      All the mouthpieces I have and use have been replated: not that they had anything wrong with them, but I prefer the smooth feel the browning leaves on my chops. Buying golden mouthpieces involves a considerably higher outlay than silver ones therefore, having the good fortune of having a friend who has a galvanic laboratory, I prefer to do the treatment by entrusting myself to the latter. So I can make different combinations of colors and noble metals to have the color match that I like best in relation to the instruments they will match. As you can see from the photo there are the three all gold that match the lacquered JP373 baritone, the three gold-satin silver that match the New Standard satin silver and the others for Prestige, French tuba and trombone. Not all mouthpiece makers offer the two-tone silver-gold option and those that do stock it charge dearly for it. For each replating the price is 10€, 15€ for the two-tone. Some have already been made for several years and are still immaculate, as if they had just been made, only the sign of contact with the receiver can be seen. Surely there will be a craftsman who does this work in the area where you live and, if he is honest, he won't ask you too much for a price to do the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230329_201454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	119356
      2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

Working...
      X