Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water gutter / spit guard / grime gutter

I've been trying out the SBtray. It's a plastic cup of sorts with legs that insert into the lower cap holes. There is a version for long nipples and one for low or no nipples [place your own tacky joke here]. I've had it for a few months and it is working out pretty well. The plastic legs are very thin and look like they could easily break, but they haven't.

To keep the water from sloshing out when I tip the horn, I added a few inches of tiki torch wick into the tray. There is enough of a gap that the wick doesn't touch or block the cap hole. There is no rattle and no back pressure or suction resulting in the valve casings.

I got mine through Steven Mead's online store, and they may also be available from the manufacturer. Here's a link: https://www.euphoniumstore.net/acces...nium-long-legs
    Sterling Virtuoso IV; Wick 4ABL
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial (1972); Wick 4AM
    Renton City Concert Band

Is the SBTray available for lpurchase in the USA?

3. If there aren't any US vendors that stock it, Steven Mead's online store does offer shipping to the US.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

I made the one for my euphonium from stock PVC plumbing tubing and a couple of plastic end plugs intended as hole plugs for wiring holes in desks. All purchased at that mecca of brass instrument supplies: Lowe's. Then I added an Amati water valve to it so I don't have to take it off to drain it. It fits firmly, doesn't rattle, works well, and didn't require any "machining" beyond an electric drill and a file. I was going to make another for my big Eb tuba, but discovered that with a bit of judicious plastic shaving, the one I made fits both the euph and the tuba equally well.

Given the cost of these things from instrument supply sources, someone could probably make some real money by making and selling plastic printed ones. I've seen that done in some other "parts areas" on Ebay for rather hard to get but easy to print small parts (such as single-shot magazines for target rifles). But I'm retired and not looking to start a home industry.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

With my Besson Prestige more water drips out the tuning slide than accumulates in the grime gutter.
    2015 Besson Prestige 2052 - Denis Wick SM3U
    1990 Besson 982 - Bach 24AW
    1992 Bach 42B - Denis Wick 4BL

Quote Originally Posted by charger View Post
    With my Besson Prestige more water drips out the tuning slide than accumulates in the grime gutter.
    I think that indicates that you're not using your valves enough.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I think that indicates that you're not using your valves enough.
    That's funny, although I, too, used to get a little dripping/condensation from my main tuning slide on my Adams E3 before I had one of the slide legs reversed. Problem solved. I think with all the horns with main tuning slide triggers, the leaking is possible unless the outer slide leg is reversed. Mostly because the slide has to fit somewhat looser to allow it to move easily when using the trigger.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by charger View Post
    My Besson prestige also had the same problem when I bought it in 2007. Problem solved by slightly widening a small portion of the end of the slide legs using an expander: you have to be careful to expand it just enough to eliminate the leak without affecting its smoothness . It's now been 16 years of almost daily use without leaks, fast scrolling and never a freeze or slowdown. the slide legs are lubricated once or at most twice a year by applying a little Selmer red grease for kork & tuning slide and adding a few drops of piston oil in order to obtain the right sliding speed.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    My Besson prestige also had the same problem when I bought it in 2007. Problem solved by slightly widening a small portion of the end of the slide legs using an expander: you have to be careful to expand it just enough to eliminate the leak without affecting its smoothness . It's now been 16 years of almost daily use without leaks, fast scrolling and never a freeze or slowdown. the slide legs are lubricated once or at most twice a year by applying a little Selmer red grease for kork & tuning slide and adding a few drops of piston oil in order to obtain the right sliding speed.
    I suppose I could have done what you did, but reversing the main tuning slide leg (under the 4th valve) solved the problem. I do the same sort of thing as you do for lubrication. A little light grease and a few drops of valve oil. Seems to work pretty well.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I suppose I could have done what you did, but reversing the main tuning slide leg (under the 4th valve) solved the problem. of valve oil.
    And yes, this is a clever solution that I saw on the Miraphone 5050. They could do it on the Bessons too, but maybe they don't want to change the design.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12