Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water gutter / spit guard / grime gutter

Water gutter / spit guard / grime gutter

Hello,

Just wondering whether any of you have ever looked into 3D printing your own gutter? I suffer a lot from spillage over my pants when playing. I've been searching around the old Google to see if I could find any 3D files, but to no avail.

Do you guys know of places to find it or have you made some yourself?

I have made several by working pieces of brass tubing: a couple do their duty on my Bessons and the other two I gave to my friends to whom I acted as intermediary in the purchase of two vintage New Standards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raccogliacqua.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	10307
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Definitely would be possible, might have to design it yourself though. I've taken mine off of my Sovereign though, the small amount of lap spillage is inconsequential compared to the clacking of the gutter every time I put down the valves!
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

There are a couple posts here about making your own from plastic tubing, which I have done before. That would be something to consider, unless you just want to play with 3D printing.

Metal gutters are most commonly seen, and that is what I use now if I need to because mine is made by Adams. Those have a flat spring inside to keep them from rattling - the spring pushes up against one of the nipples, but must do so without covering the hole.

I have also seen a commercial plastic gutter, I think made for Willson. For that, 3 keyhole openings are used to fit over the nipples.

On the home-made version I mention, I would just cut a slot slightly smaller than the nipple and slightly longer than the span of the 3 nipples. The plastic is flexible enough to snap over the nipple.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by CousinJack View Post
    Definitely would be possible, might have to design it yourself though. I've taken mine off of my Sovereign though, the small amount of lap spillage is inconsequential compared to the clacking of the gutter every time I put down the valves!
    My project involves interposing a suitably shaped Teflon disc between the water collector and the nipples of the caps so as not to damage the plating of the same and to act as an anti-noise gasket. Simple, cheap, satisfying and functional.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

My Dolce came with a grime gutter that doesn't make any noise at all, except when I take it off. A silver plated horn with a gold-plated grime gutter -- is that not the height of decadence?
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

A fellow euph player in one of my bands made a piece of hard, bendable plastic tube (those white ones, idk if they have metal in them?), cut holes in them to put over the nipples, then bent it to go along the vertical back tube with a little draining tap on the bottom.
    Works pretty well for him. I'll see if I can make a picture of it in 2 weeks at the next rehearsal.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinJack View Post
    You can add some O-rings of the proper size to the nipples of the bottom valve caps to stop the valve trough from rattling. I use these pictured below that work well on my M5050 horn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A99AB978-1428-4A1F-AC0B-01BAB6F44D69.jpeg  
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    You can add some O-rings of the proper size to the nipples of the bottom valve caps to stop the valve trough from rattling. I use these pictured below that work well on my M5050 horn.
    Same ones I use for my 5050 too....
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

I've been looking into this for myself as well and haven't been able to find much of anything either. I might give it a shot and I'd be glad to share if I can get it to work.
    Harrison Brown
    Madison (Alabama) Community Band - Euphonium
    My Euphoniums/Tuba:
    Yamaha Neo YEP-642TS Compensating w/ MTS Trigger Euphonium
    Reynolds Contempora Diatonic Bell Front Baritone 3-Valve w/ MTS Kicker
    V. F. Červený CEP-531 4-Valve Bohemian Oval "Baryton"
    Conn 60-I Wonderphone Double Bell 5-Valve Euphonium
    Besson 223 3-Valve Compensating BBb Tuba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast