Thread: 1974 Besson Euphonium medium shank question

1. 1974 Besson Euphonium medium shank question

So for a couple months ive had this medium/euro shank euphonium and ive been trying to decide on whether to invest in it and get it all fixed up so I can use it or the other option is to sell it.

Some background is that im a U.S college student and im looking to upgrade to a better instrument. Ive been using a large shank chinese horn.

Ive asked some friends who are more knowledgeable than me about investing in it and they have been warning me about how much of a hassle and expensive it would be to get it fully repaired right now and later down the line if it gets damaged because its an older instrument and especially since its medium shank.

Also since the medium shank isnt a very popular shank size if i were to keep it would it be better to change the shank of the instrument to large or change the mouthpiece itself to a medium shank?

2. Changing to large shank with that horn is actually not that big of a deal. All that needs to be done is replace the receiver. A good technician can do this fairly easily if the receiver can be sourced. The bigger issue is what the condition of the horn is like in all other respects., especially the valves. Are there any leaks, dents, or corrosion that would affect the playability of the horn?

I recently purchased a 1976 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial. In 1974 Besson changed over to large shank with the introduction of the Sovereign.My 1976 Imperial came from the factory with a large shank receiver.I probably would have preferred the medium shank and then would just have purchased a Wick 4AM since I play a 4AL normally.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

It probably depends on where you're located, but I know that certainly for me, it is dramatically cheaper to get medium shank mouthpieces than get any kind of repair work done. In fact, I actually recently asked about receiver work on a Trumpet and was given a quote of "$150-250 if they even bother trying". I have custom mouthpieces with Besson medium shank that cost less than that, and I didn't have to beg.

That being said, you say you're already going to have to invest in the Besson to make it useable? Yikes. If it's playable at all, then you might be better off trying to sell it.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

4. Changing to large shank with that horn is actually not that big of a deal. All that needs to be done is replace the receiver. A good technician can do this fairly easily if the receiver can be sourced. The bigger issue is what the condition of the horn is like in all other respects., especially the valves. Are there any leaks, dents, or corrosion that would affect the playability of the horn?

I recently purchased a 1976 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial. In 1974 Besson changed over to large shank with the introduction of the Sovereign.My 1976 Imperial came from the factory with a large shank receiver.I probably would have preferred the medium shank and then would just have purchased a Wick 4AM since I play a 4AL normally.
    The horn itself doesn't look bad it just looks like a darker brown color so it for sure need to be chemically cleaned. The 1st, 3rd and 4th valve slides are stuck due to not being used but the rest of the slides move pretty well for not being cleaned. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd valves do work pretty good for not being oiled or cleaned but the 4th valve is stuck down. Im not able to unscrew the valves except the 3rd valve. There's no leaks that I can see and I don't think there's any corrosion. There are dents but they aren't bad. Here are some pictures for reference.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150807453.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	10297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150749645.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	10300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150759260.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	10301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150817459.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	10302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150837266.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	10303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150842493.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	10304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150851869.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	10298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230327_150947325.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	10299
    Last edited by MJuarez; 03-27-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: I didnt quote daruby

5. Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodname View Post
    It probably depends on where you're located, but I know that certainly for me, it is dramatically cheaper to get medium shank mouthpieces than get any kind of repair work done. In fact, I actually recently asked about receiver work on a Trumpet and was given a quote of "$150-250 if they even bother trying". I have custom mouthpieces with Besson medium shank that cost less than that, and I didn't have to beg.

That being said, you say you're already going to have to invest in the Besson to make it useable? Yikes. If it's playable at all, then you might be better off trying to sell it.
    Thanks for the advice ill keep what you said in mind.

I think it probably depends a lot on the repair shop. I feel like with trumpet receiver the gap is a bigger issue, but I'd be surprised if it goes to $200. It should be a twenty dollar part and one piece soldered, right? I'd probably pay the money to get it cleaned up, just because I think it's good to rescue older instruments when possible.
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

7. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Changing to large shank with that horn is actually not that big of a deal. All that needs to be done is replace the receiver. A good technician can do this fairly easily if the receiver can be sourced. The bigger issue is what the condition of the horn is like in all other respects., especially the valves. Are there any leaks, dents, or corrosion that would affect the playability of the horn?

Quote Originally Posted by comebackplayer View Post
    I think it probably depends a lot on the repair shop. I feel like with trumpet receiver the gap is a bigger issue, but I'd be surprised if it goes to $200. It should be a twenty dollar part and one piece soldered, right? I'd probably pay the money to get it cleaned up, just because I think it's good to rescue older instruments when possible.
    Yeah if I end up not getting the instrument worked on so I can use it then ill get it cleaned to sell.