Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E3 might be too much instrument for me.

1. E3 might be too much instrument for me.

Hello Euphonium community,

I am an older player that has returned to playing and performing regularly after a long music teaching career. I recently purchased an Adams E3 after playing on a Yamaha 641 for many, many years. Overall the instrument is excellent, I especially like the valve action and intonation in the upper register. However, I am having a difficult time playing softly in the mid to upper registers, often experiencing a slight double-buzz. Balancing and blending in a symphonic band seems to be more work than on my old instrument. I have changed my set-up, which has helped, but wonder if I should try an E1?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to the forum!

If you have a chance to play an E1, I suppose you could try one. The E1 has a slightly smaller sound, so that might help you.

HOWEVER, when I first switched from an E1 to an E3, I found the E3 was just as easy to play softly overall, and easier on some passages. The one thing I can see that might trouble someone is the opposite intonation on the middle F# and Ab (see the graph below). Setting your chops incorrectly, aiming to push up instead of pulling down for example, can produce buzzes and other oddities.

A student of mine some years ago switched from a 641 to an Adams E1 (there was no E3 yet). He first tested the 2 horns at a lesson. The test piece he had prepared for the Falcone competition immediately sound much more even and smooth on the Adams. The Adams has a more even tone and response note to note. That could also cause troubles if you are used to tempering certain notes on the 641. And overall the Adams is easier to blow, which you need to get used to. My best suggestion is to totally divorce your habits from the old horn. On the Adams, I have my best luck when I forget the horn and just play the note where I think it should be. That's actually hard after several decades of pushing horns around!

I should also mention that the AGR may help you find a comfort zone. Start with it all the way in and play a bit. Then move it several turns out (counter clockwise) and see if it is better or worse. Keep going until you find the sweet spot for you and the mouthpiece. For me it's around 2 full turns out, but sometimes I like it further in or further out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams vs Yamaha.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	10268
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

A double buzz is going to, primarily, be an embouchure issue. (Whether the horn could possibly amplify the issue, I’m not sure.)

There is a good set of blog posts on embouchure training…but the site currently appears to be compromised and may be propagating malware. I am in the process of replicating the info (and securing permission to do so). I can share the link if you DM me (if you view via a Chromebook, Linux, or macOS system, you should be fine). Feel free to reach out.

I also spent a long period of time not playing…I do experience double buzzing occasionally…but it is typically when I am tired and getting lazy with my embouchure.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

hmm...Site compromised and propagating malware? What site? Evidence?

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I agree with Larry that it’s more likely an embouchure issue. Either that or you need less pressure on the mouthpiece and more support from the diaphragm.

I get the best results on my E3 when I push air through the horn and let it do its thing.

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    hmm...Site compromised and propagating malware? What site? Evidence?
    You want me to prove that an unnamed site is compromised?? What an odd request.

Looks like the entire site got nuked now. (unfortunate as I was unable to replicate all the info...hopefully it will arise anew shortly.)

https://wilktone.com/
    Last edited by iMav; 03-23-2023 at 12:38 PM.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Hello Larry, my apologies, but from your post I was not able to exclude that this here DWerden site was not the poxed one. Glad it is not the one showing symptoms/evidence of contagion.

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

8. Hello Mr. Werden,

Thanks so much for your reply and for all the information you have gathered. Indeed, your resources were what led me to the E3 in the first place. I do agree with you assessment regarding the evenness of the tone quality and intonation. I have found myself returning to old habits in the sixth partial tones and having to re-set my embouchure at-times. i also was playing the horn too high in the seated position and have since adjusted that, which has helped. I currently have the AGR out two full turns, using a Shilke Symphony D5.3.

Again, your expertise and resources are greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    You want me to prove that an unnamed site is compromised?? What an odd request.

Looks like the entire site got nuked now. (unfortunate as I was unable to replicate all the info...hopefully it will arise anew shortly.)

https://wilktone.com/
    Sorry to hear this about wilktone. I learned a lot from that site when I returned to euphonium after four decades of concentrating on piano.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Wikitone is captured to some extend on the Wayback Machine from archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000.../wilktone.com/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast