Thread: Matonizz on iTunes

Matonizz on iTunes

Hey All - I’m sure you all have seen the great YouTube content that Matonizz puts out - I love the play along videos, and have contemplating ordering a couple of the arrangements for myself.

What I didn’t know was that he is posting some - but not all of these on iTunes - these sound to me like very professional recordings. I love his tone - and all on a JP274!

Here are a couple that are on iTunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwyLoyzuKm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJaDmhxkiqk
    Last edited by euphdude; 03-21-2023 at 09:53 PM.

I don’t believe he uses a JP274 on all his recordings..but it is his backup horn and he also does have an arrangement with DF Music where he promotes and helps sell John Packer horns through them.

(The JP274 is a great horn…so that isn’t something he is overcoming to sound good.)
    Last edited by iMav; 03-22-2023 at 03:06 AM.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    I don’t believe he uses a JP274 on all his recordings..but it is his backup horn and he also does have an arrangement with DF Music where he promotes and helps sell John Packer horns through them.

(The JP274 is a great horn…so that isn’t something he is overcoming to sound good.)
    He definitely has an arrangement with DF Music, and at the end of the video is a promo where you can get an instrument, Denis Wick practice mute, and Denis Wick mouthpiece. However, most of his recordings from late 2021 onwards show in the corner of the screen as a JP274, and the ones that are not indicated certainly look to be this model as well. I have to say, it is a very powerful marketing tool. You can see in other videos (5-6 years ago) where he used to play a Sterling virtuoso, then switched to the Jupiter XO. And three years ago, there was a series of videos where he was auditioning a Besson Prestige and a couple of the Adams euphs as well. Don't know what he is playing with the River City Brass these days.

In addition to his phenomenal tone, I am envious of his effortlessly fluid high range.
    Last edited by euphdude; 03-22-2023 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by euphdude View Post
    <snip> In addition to his phenomenal tone, I am envious of his effortlessly fluid high range.
    You're so right Scott! Pretty sure you've seen his performance of "The King's Gambit". He makes it sound so easy!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

At one point, Algiradas was a sponsored Sterling artist. I THOUGHT that he moved to Adams...but can't seem to find confirmation of that. I'll have to ask him.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    At one point, Algiradas was a sponsored Sterling artist. I THOUGHT that he moved to Adams...but can't seem to find confirmation of that. I'll have to ask him.
    Ok, asked him. His primary is still a Sterling Virtuoso. However, he does all his promotional recordings on the JP274 (likely due to his relationship promoting the horn with DF MUSIC).
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Matonizz is without any doubt a phenomenal player, but I still do suspect his video's have had some sound engineering done to them. I get this feeling more with the other players on his channel; they sometimes sound just TOO smooth, almost like midi, with no feeling in the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    Matonizz is without any doubt a phenomenal player, but I still do suspect his video's have had some sound engineering done to them. I get this feeling more with the other players on his channel; they sometimes sound just TOO smooth, almost like midi, with no feeling in the performance.
    I'm sure they keep this guy gamefully employed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	10296
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    I do most of my recording in a large room with good acoustics, which is a luxury, I admit. It gives what I think is a natural euphonium sound (lots of "room sound").

If one records in a studio, things are more controllable in many ways. When I record, I need to try for a good acoustic balance. But in a studio, each instrument is isolated enough that you can have any balance you like. With proper mic placement for the euphonium, you can also minimize fuzz in the tone. If you need to edit (like splicing in a patch, in the old days), it is much easier in a studio recording. You do your best to make a seamless patch, and then when you have what you want you would probably add reverb for a more natural sound. The reverb smooths out the patch.

With the close mic, if you are doing a jazz recording you might choose to use little-to-no reverb in the final mix. But for a "classical" piece, you would want reverb, which can be tricky to make sound natural. It is certainly tricky for me to do it, because I have not needed to do much of that. But a good engineer can get decent reverb that sounds relatively natural.

A former colleague of mine did a recording in a small studio (with an engineer who was no experienced with the euphonium's characteristics). He was not happy with the results. But Matonizz obviously has his shop working very nicely and gets a professional sound, even though it is definitely a "studio sound."

The only time I have done close to a studio recording was this example. But the mic was not quite as close as would be ideal. Still, it sound distinct from my church recordings. I had to add a little reverb to my sound so it did not seem out of place with the accompaniment track I was using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T77ddHHpygg
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium