Thread: Besson 967, 1994, Sluggish Valve 2

Besson 967, 1994, Sluggish Valve 2

Hello,
    I have a Besson 967 made around 1994. The second valve is a little sluggish at times. I have cleaned it and tried different valve oils. I cleaned it with Flitz. Any suggestions to help with this valve? Is this more common on the second valve? All other valves are fine.

2. I had a similar problem with my Besson when it was new (back around 2008ish.) For probably the first 3-4 years that I owned that horn, the 2nd valve stuck pretty consistently despite everything that I tried. I tried cleaning it (both professionally and by myself), replacing the spring, replacing the valve guide, and even had the valve lapped at least twice. Nothing seemed to help.

Then all of sudden, it stopped sticking on its own, and I had no idea why...until I realized that I had switched valve oils recently. It annoyed me a bit that after everything I had tried, switching to a different valve oil almost instantly fixed my problem, but it hasn't been an issue since. Not sure what you're using now, but it's worth a try to just try out a few different oils and see if you notice a difference.

My 88 1st valve does stick on occasion.

Which oil did you end up using?

Cpoet89,

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I'm using the Yahama vintage old now. I had probably used Al Cass from day one...

7. I've been using Yamaha's regular synthetic oil for years now and it's worked great for me. I've also had success with Blue Juice but I find that the Yamaha lasts a lot longer. Both should be very easy to find and affordable.

There are quite a few threads on the forum discussing different valve oils that you should be able to find if you do quick search!