X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baron von Bone
    • Feb 2023

Besson BE-165 replacement valve buttons

Can anyone point me in the right direction toward some no-inlay, solid metal piston buttons that'll fit my Besson BE-165, preferably concave on top?

Thanks!
  • anadmai
    • Mar 2022

Hmmm. Good question. Check Steve Mead’s site?
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• TheJH
      • Dec 2014

I would indeed check the euphoniumstore website, or the Dawkes website, they also have instrument parts.
      Euphoniums
      2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
      1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
      Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
      Baritone
      1975 Besson New Standard
      Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• Baron von Bone
        • Feb 2023

Good info (for far more than valve buttons, obviously) ... much appreciated!

Can anyone tell me if any other makes' / models' buttons will fit?

My last option--getting other buttons re-threaded.

Comment

• RickF
          • Jan 2006

The Miraphone 5050 Ambassador have concave finger buttons but do have pearl inserts. Not sure if the thread size would fit your horn though. A search for information on that came up empty.

Below are a couple of images of what the the finger buttons on the M5050 look like and the thread. Sorry, don't have a way to measure the thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finger buttons M5050.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	119304

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finger button tread.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	119305
          Rick Floyd
          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
          Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Baron von Bone
            • Feb 2023

Dawkes may be able to take care of me--Besson 1000 Series buttons--seems pretty likely to me they'll fit.

But those Miraphone buttons (real pearl) are definitely on the menu if I can find out they fit, or if I don't find Besson that both fit the bill, and my horn.

I don't dislike pearl at all--just not when it sticks up and makes the flat surface smaller. Those buttons are really nice, besides being the functional shape I'm after for my clumsy, trombone player fingers.

Thanks!

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Baron von Bone View Post
              Dawkes may be able to take care of me--Besson 1000 Series buttons--seems pretty likely to me they'll fit.
              The thread probably won't fit, the 1000 series is British made, so inch pitch, while the 165 is metric pitch.
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• Baron von Bone
                • Feb 2023

I won't be shocked if that turns out to be the case. Apparently at least not the 1000 series euphoniums, but aren't most Besson euphoniums (brass?) made in Germany these days?

In any case, they should be getting back with me soon (whatever that actually means), once they're back on the job for the week.

If they won't fit I'll just be switching to the much bigger re-tap menu.

Comment

• Baron von Bone
                  • Feb 2023

Well, Dawkes said the 1000 series will fit my BE-165, so I ordered a set ... we'll see.

They have to order them, so it'll be a little while--not a problem.

I have a set of Yamaha buttons on my Weril that I've "properly" cross-threaded (and they're lacquered brass on a silver plated horn), but it's early for that kind of thing with my Besson--haven't had it long enough for it to have even developed any tarnish yet--heh.

Comment

Working...
                  X