Sponsor Banner

Collapse

1960 Besson Model 180 New Standard 3+1 (Frosted Silver/Gold Bell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinn
    • Feb 2020

1960 Besson Model 180 New Standard 3+1 (Frosted Silver/Gold Bell)

SN 314008
    Frosted silver finish with bright silver highlights
    Gold-washed bell
    Original Besson 10 mouthpiece
    Original Besson alligator print hard case
    Purchased from original owner
    New springs, spring dampeners, spacers, felts, and corks
    Extremely fine condition on all accounts

ITEM HAS BEEN SOLD (FACEBOOK)

Price is $2,500 or best offer
    Shipping limited to 48 contiguous states and at buyer’s cost
    Attached Files
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-23-2023, 05:26 PM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

Do you think this horn has been restored? Looks pretty good for it's age.

D

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

Originally posted by highpitch View Post
      Do you think this horn has been restored? Looks pretty good for it's age.
      I’m guessing he knows everything about it…being the second owner.
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• Shinn
        • Feb 2020

ALL ORIGINAL - with the exception of the springs, felts, spacers, and corks.

The condition and fit of the valves/pistons is what astounded me when I got it - immaculate!

The condition of the case is also indicative of the care given this euphonium.

Here are a couple pages from a period Besson catalogue describing the Model 180.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Shinn; 03-17-2023, 05:24 PM.
        David Shinn
        Peninsula Concert Band
        Yorktown, Virginia

Comment

• bopeuph
          • Jun 2018

I've never seen a horn like this before, and it's a beautiful representative of the model!

Comment

• highpitch
            • Mar 2006

I had to lean on Dan Oberloh pretty hard to Gold wash my NS bell, as he said it never happened at the factory.

Hmmm.

Comment

• Shinn
              • Feb 2020

Originally posted by highpitch View Post
              I had to lean on Dan Oberloh pretty hard to Gold wash my NS bell, as he said it never happened at the factory.

Hmmm.
              I have only seen three (3) Besson New Standards with gold wash bells - all bell forward. Here are pictures of the other Model 180 that was advertised for sale in 2020 - good condition but did not compare to the euphonium I am selling.

And here is a link to a 3-valve compensating Besson Model 175 advertised in 2017 on the Forum:
              http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...l#.ZBWxX2QpAWM
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Shinn; 03-18-2023, 07:12 PM.
              David Shinn
              Peninsula Concert Band
              Yorktown, Virginia

Comment

• daruby
                • Apr 2006

I played a 3 valve bell front, satin silver and gold wash bell. It was a sample designed to match our Besson sousaphones.
                Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                Concord Band
                Winchendon Winds
                Townsend Military Band

Comment

• highpitch
                  • Mar 2006

I hope Dan reads this forum.

Gold wash is really pretty on a silver horn.

D

Comment

• tjjc
                    • Apr 2008

I'm curious as to how this horn plays relative to the fixed-bell Besson 181/New Standard/767 instruments. I once owned a Besson 3-valve compensating horn with an adjustable bell (Model 175 I think) and liked it very much. Lighter sound but projected very well, and fewer intonation quirks than Besson 4-valve compensating horns.

Comment

• euphdude
                      • Feb 2006

Such a cool instrument! Never seen a 4 valve compensating bell front Besson before.
                      - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
                      Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
                      King Jiggs P-bone

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by euphdude View Post
                        Such a cool instrument! Never seen a 4 valve compensating bell front Besson before.
                        My understanding from the USA importer back when I was a Besson Artist is that the curved/adjustable bell design was more or less an experiment meant for better market penetration in the U.S. (probably the school market). For whatever reason, it obviously did not catch on, but a surprising number show up here and there.

When I tried one, I didn't think it sounded as good as the normal version. However, I had not yet learned that a player's impression of their sound is partly due to direct radiation from the side of the bell, which of course is different when the bell takes off in a different direction. It seems like it should have worked for schools, with players spend almost all their time in the middle of a band, where pointing the bell toward the audience might be an advantage.

I remember when Denis Winter was using his Connstellation in our band. It had a straight bell. We were trying different seating formations, and two of them had us on the end of a row, in a horseshoe shape. When we were on the audience's right side, Denis always sounded more present (by a lot) on recordings because he pointed outward and I pointed backward. When the moved us to the left side, our balance was reversed. Even with upright bells, it's obvious that bell direction still matters. Presumably it would be more effective if your bell leaned down a bit so you shot over the audience at a 45 degree angle from vertical, vs. the 75-or-so degree angle of the upright.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Shinn
                          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by tjjc View Post
                          I'm curious as to how this horn plays relative to the fixed-bell Besson 181/New Standard/767 instruments. I once owned a Besson 3-valve compensating horn with an adjustable bell (Model 175 I think) and liked it very much. Lighter sound but projected very well, and fewer intonation quirks than Besson 4-valve compensating horns.
                          Attached is from the original owner’s advertisement. I have found the 180 to be equal to the 181 in responsiveness and characteristics (identical valve block). As Dave Werden mentioned, the forward bell does inherently ‘sound’ slightly different to the player.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Shinn; 03-19-2023, 03:56 AM.
                          David Shinn
                          Peninsula Concert Band
                          Yorktown, Virginia

Comment

• daruby
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tjjc View Post
                            The 3-valve and 4-valve bell front Bessons played virtually as well as any of the bell up horns. David's is a superb example and quite rare for its wonderful condition and the finish. The gold wash on the bell front horns was a desireable option since satin silver with gold wash was used by a number of the major college marching bands during the later 1950s to early 1970s.

The major differences between the bell up and bell front horns are ergonomic. The bell front horns are heavier due to the reinforcing ring around the bell throat. The cases were more awkward to carry. Also the lead pipe mounts on the bell lower than on the bell up horns since it has to clear the set screws and joint that support the pivoting bell.

As far as playability, my experience was that the bell front Besson projected better in an outdoor setting, and was equal to the bell up Besson in playability. Any Besson of the era (bell front or bell up) had a much nicer sound than my Conn 24i Connstellation. There is debate on whether the bell up horns provide a more satisfactory effect in the ensemble by virtue of the fact that they disperse the rich warm sound of the euphonium in a non-directional way. However, I would argue that the bell front would be highly desireable in some of the multi-use auditoriums I play in that do not have reflecting shells behind the band. In some of those cases, the low brass (tuba and euph) that are not forward facing get "lost in the rafters".
                            Last edited by daruby; 04-09-2023, 07:57 PM.
                            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                            Concord Band
                            Winchendon Winds
                            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2005

Well, there is a reason someone invented the word "coincidence." I was going through a FB page for my home town and found this photo. It shows a horn configured like the one for sale here. Given the 1949 date of the photo from St. Ambrose High School, I'm guessing this was not a Besson, but it shows that the top valve / right-hand bell thing has been done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	St. Ambrose College Marching Band - 1949.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	119313 Click image for larger version

Name:	Marching Band Clipped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	119314
                              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                              Adams Artist (Adams E3)