Thread: Has anyone ever made a full double euph?

1. Has anyone ever made a full double euph?

French horns use a full double system where activating the 4th valve completely switches which tuning slides the first 3 valves use, instead of just adding in a second loop as on euphoniums. This system reduces stuffiness in the low register. Has anyone ever made a euphonium that operated in this manner? It would seem to have some significant advantages, at the cost of some extra weight.

“Some” extra weight? I think it would be quite significant.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

The Enharmonic system is actually a pretty similar concept. It's not a "full" full double, but you get two complete first and second valve slides. Pretty sure the 4 valvers still use a compensating loop for 4+3, though. To do a full blown full double Euphonium, it would almost certainly have to be a Schmidt style, or double rotor to preserve the appropriate leadpipe. And no, I have never seen such a thing.

I don't know that this would really be as useful as it sounds. It wouldn't be any less stuffy than a non-comp 4v. To satisfy the same advantages that the French Horn gets from this, you would need an instrument that switches from 6.5'Eb to 9'Bb, which isn't possible with a Euphonium. It might be possible with a British Baritone Horn. Then your 4th valve range would be the Eb side 1st partial. Dunno what you'd do with it, but that would be rad.

My dream setup was always inline 4 where you have 3v comp system and then have the 4th valve loop through the 3rd for 3+4 comp. Unfortunately, this begs the question of how you arrange the bore sizes and keep the valve throw aligned. Probably why no one has tried it.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

4. Yeah I was trying to think about how you would do it without an overly long lead pipe, and figured that might be the main issue. Would it be possible to make the F side larger bore? That would probably result in nearly tuba weight, but might be freer blowing than a non-comp.
    Last edited by SethLegare; 03-17-2023 at 02:54 PM.

5. It's not like euphoniums are actually that heavy, though. I'd gladly buy a 16lb instrument if it was easy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by SethLegare View Post
    It's not like euphoniums are actually that heavy, though. I'd gladly buy a 16lb instrument if it was easy to play.
    That’s way too heavy IMHO. I’m not convinced it would be a net positive.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server