X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinn
    • Feb 2020

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
    The 1956 Imperial shipped with a Kosikup mouthpiece which came with my horn when I bought it. Brian Bowman makes a copy of it with his BB2 mouthpiece.
    Curious of any noticeable differences (in playing and responsiveness) of a Brian Bowman BB2 with (1) an Alliance David Childs DC3M and (2) a Denis Wick 4AM.

The sizes/specs can be found through this link-
    http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/euphonium.cfm
    Last edited by Shinn; 03-15-2023, 07:38 PM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

The BB2 is smaller than most of the mouthpieces I have used on my euphoniums. I haven't tried the DC3M to the best of my knowledge, although I bought a couple Besson Prestiges in the 90's and 2000's, and I can't remember what they came with. Seems like some of those came with Alliance mouthpieces, but I really can't remember. I have a 4AL, and I like it okay, but it is noticeably larger than the BB2. The BB2 size reminds me of a Bach 6 1/2AL. Here are the specs on the three you asked about and the Bach, also.

Brand, Model, Rim, Cup Depth, Rim Width, Throat, Backbore, Notes

Griego, BB2, 25.50mm/1.0004", Medium Deep,,,, V-Shaped Cup

Wick, 4AL, 26.00mm/1.024", Deep, 6.72mm, 7.38mm, Barrel,

Alliance, DC3, 26.00mm/1.024", Deep, 6.76mm, 7.45mm,, David Childs Model

Bach, 6 1/2AL, 25.40mm/1.000", Medium Deep, Medium-Wide, Rounded, .261", 420,,

I play on a Warburton Demondrae signature model mouthpiece, and it is noticeably larger than the BB2. The BB2 is very similar to the old KosiKup mouthpiece that came with the Imperials back in the 50's.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by daruby View Post
        Overall, I am really pleased with the horn. Shortly I will put the horn in bathtub and do a complete QHR/Spitball/Dawn dishsoap washout of the horn. Then a fine tune of the satin silver finish using baking soda and water with focus on the areas that still show a bit of tarnish. Then all of the slides and valves will get a final cleaning and lubrication, as part of the re-assembly.
        So I did do a bit of clean up. John Sefton Powell had done a LOT of work, but I have done a bit more. I found that when I did the Quick Horn Rinse in the bathtub along with using Spitballs, quite a bit of black gritty stuff came out. The valves actually got stuck due to this. The horn ended up getting a REALLY good wash using Dawn, Spitballs, and then all parts were dismantled and individually cleaned, rinsed and polished as needed.

I also focused on getting rid of the tarnish in the cracks and crevices (which is tedious and takes time) and also between and around the valves and associated tubing. Here are the "AFTER" pictures compared with those in my first post of this thread...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Imperial-10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	119297 Click image for larger version

Name:	Imperial-11.jpg
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	119298 Click image for larger version

Name:	Imperial-12.jpg
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	119299 Click image for larger version

Name:	Imperial-13.jpg
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	119300 Click image for larger version

Name:	Imperial-14.jpg
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	119301

After several more hours of playing this horn with short interludes back on the Adams, I can safely say that the Imperial is a great instrument, regardless of its age. I think it would compare favorably with any of the Wessex range or other Chinese clones I have played. It has remarkably good pitch, a very nice sweet lyrical tone that would set it apart from most of today's heavier, more robust sounding euphoniums.

While my Adams is MUCH easier to play, both in ergonomics and in responsiveness across the range, I still don;t feel I have to give up a lot nor does the listener, when I am sitting behind this 47 year old Boosey & Hawkes..

Doug
        Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Shinn
          • Feb 2020

Absolutely wonderful, Doug!!

Fantastic results- such a rewarding feeling though timely and tedious.
          David Shinn
          Peninsula Concert Band
          Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
          1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
          1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
          1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
          Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Boy, you are a GOOD cleaner-upper! That is one beautiful horn!

Originally posted by daruby View Post
            While my Adams is MUCH easier to play, both in ergonomics and in responsiveness across the range, I still don;t feel I have to give up a lot nor does the listener, when I am sitting behind this 47 year old Boosey & Hawkes..
            I think that depends partly on the player. I have no doubt that you can find the magic from the Imperial, and it is a formidable instrument in the right hands. When I think of some of the live performances I've heard from the legends on these horns, there was nothing I thought needed changing.

But I am pretty sure that not every player could easily find the key to reaching the horn's potential. And I'm surely on the same page as you about the ease of playing a horn like the Adams. That has proved a blessing for me.

That whole thing is a puzzle for me. One the one hand, I've always been pretty good about playing through a horn's resistance and oddness. On the other hand, I never thought I got the New Standard to give me the sound I knew that it could. When I got the Sovereign 967 I was finally happy with the sound, even though the "sound in my head" was what I heard some of the Brits and Arthur Lehman get from their Imperials and New Standards. Must be some kind of shortcoming in my head or my physical efforts.

It's been more than 40 years since I played on a New Standard (I never owned an Imperial). Maybe I'd figure it out today, but at my age it might be too late to solve that particular problem.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

Wow Doug that looks pristine! I’d be a bit afraid of polishing a brushed or frosted finish that it might lose some of the brushed look. Good job!
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Eupher6
                • Mar 2009

I have to admit, Doug, this is the first time I've heard of using baking soda and water to get the tarnish out of a satin silver finish. (I guess I've led a sheltered life - lol) Do you use a thin strip of cloth soaked with the slurry between and around the valves and in other tight spots? Or more of a paste, again using a thin strip of cloth?

Beautiful job with the horn!
                U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
                Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
                Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
                Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
                Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
                Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

• anadmai
                  • Mar 2022

Alright Mr. Doug. Inquiring minds want to know….what did you name your new horn? LOL.
                  DANA

Meet the Family
                  Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
                  Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
                  Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
                  Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
                  Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
                  Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
                  Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• daruby
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Eupher6 View Post
                    I have to admit, Doug, this is the first time I've heard of using baking soda and water to get the tarnish out of a satin silver finish. (I guess I've led a sheltered life - lol) Do you use a thin strip of cloth soaked with the slurry between and around the valves and in other tight spots? Or more of a paste, again using a thin strip of cloth?

Beautiful job with the horn!
                    Thank you for the compliments. Yes, a labor of love.

I confess, however, that I did not use baking soda and water to clean the finish this time, though I have done it before. Instead, I used Wright's Silver Cream, but very diluted. I used a VERY wet sponge applicator, and spread the polish lightly on the major portions of the horn. Then I used a terry towel (first) and a very worn cotton t-shirt to clean the horn. I also sprayed the horn with Windex to keep it wet and help clean off residual polish while I was cleaning the tight spots. I did not directly apply the silver cream around the valves, but instead used the now very polish embedded t-shirt to get around all the fidgety spots.

When all was done and assembled, I went back over the spots that had finger prints or residual polish film using a silver polish cloth.

I have always used Wrights cream as my "go to" by using a very wet and diluted application, particularly on satin finishes.
                    Last edited by daruby; 03-18-2023, 06:13 AM.
                    Concord Band
                    Winchendon Winds
                    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by anadmai View Post
                      Alright Mr. Doug. Inquiring minds want to know….what did you name your new horn? LOL.
                      I have never named my horns, though if were to, I think I would lean toward Lyndon or Trevor in honor of my heroes of the 60's - 70's era. Of course this refers to Lyndon Baglin or Trevor Groom.
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• anadmai
                        • Mar 2022

Trevor is an awesome name.
                        DANA

Meet the Family
                        Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
                        Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
                        Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
                        Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
                        Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
                        Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
                        Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• Pat
                          • Dec 2008

Truly, your Imperial is a gorgeous horn! Are those the original valve caps/finger buttons?
                          Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

• daruby
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                            Truly, your Imperial is a gorgeous horn! Are those the original valve caps/finger buttons?
                            Pat,

Thank you very much. Yes, these are original caps and finger buttons. The engraving on the bell and the different caps and finger buttons are essentially the only difference between the New Standard and the Imperial of similar vintage.

Doug
                            Concord Band
                            Winchendon Winds
                            Townsend Military Band

Comment

Working...
                            X