Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new Backup Euphonium

Wow Doug that looks pristine! I’d be a bit afraid of polishing a brushed or frosted finish that it might lose some of the brushed look. Good job!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I have to admit, Doug, this is the first time I've heard of using baking soda and water to get the tarnish out of a satin silver finish. (I guess I've led a sheltered life - lol) Do you use a thin strip of cloth soaked with the slurry between and around the valves and in other tight spots? Or more of a paste, again using a thin strip of cloth?

Beautiful job with the horn!
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Alright Mr. Doug. Inquiring minds want to know….what did you name your new horn? LOL.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    I have to admit, Doug, this is the first time I've heard of using baking soda and water to get the tarnish out of a satin silver finish. (I guess I've led a sheltered life - lol) Do you use a thin strip of cloth soaked with the slurry between and around the valves and in other tight spots? Or more of a paste, again using a thin strip of cloth?

Beautiful job with the horn!
    Thank you for the compliments. Yes, a labor of love.

I confess, however, that I did not use baking soda and water to clean the finish this time, though I have done it before. Instead, I used Wright's Silver Cream, but very diluted. I used a VERY wet sponge applicator, and spread the polish lightly on the major portions of the horn. Then I used a terry towel (first) and a very worn cotton t-shirt to clean the horn. I also sprayed the horn with Windex to keep it wet and help clean off residual polish while I was cleaning the tight spots. I did not directly apply the silver cream around the valves, but instead used the now very polish embedded t-shirt to get around all the fidgety spots.

When all was done and assembled, I went back over the spots that had finger prints or residual polish film using a silver polish cloth.

I have always used Wrights cream as my "go to" by using a very wet and diluted application, particularly on satin finishes.
    Last edited by daruby; 03-18-2023 at 07:13 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Quote Originally Posted by anadmai View Post
    Alright Mr. Doug. Inquiring minds want to know….what did you name your new horn? LOL.
    I have never named my horns, though if were to, I think I would lean toward Lyndon or Trevor in honor of my heroes of the 60's - 70's era. Of course this refers to Lyndon Baglin or Trevor Groom.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Trevor is an awesome name.
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Truly, your Imperial is a gorgeous horn! Are those the original valve caps/finger buttons?
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

8. Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Truly, your Imperial is a gorgeous horn! Are those the original valve caps/finger buttons?
    Pat,

Thank you very much. Yes, these are original caps and finger buttons. The engraving on the bell and the different caps and finger buttons are essentially the only difference between the New Standard and the Imperial of similar vintage.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123