Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! - Euphonium always FLAT.

Out of curiosity, where were they cut down typically? (Modifying the main tuning slide seems to make the most sense to me…since another owner could just get a replacement (“normal”) tuning slide.)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

The international standard for concert tuning has been set at A4=440Hz and, consequently, instruments are built to play in tune at this frequency. However many variables can affect this, temperature, mouthpiece size and shape, player's lips etc. Some bands, including those I play in, tune to A4=442/443 (to get a brighter sound), and this can be a problem for those who tend to play on the flat side or for certain instruments. In my case, with an ambient temperature of around 22/24°C, my main euphonium ( Besson Prestige 2052 ) is at 442 with the main slide extended by about 10/15 mm. The trombone and the New Standard also behave the same way. The JP 373 baritone sounded terribly flat and had to be shortened by cutting all the slides. Even with the Wessex French C tuba it sounded flat, I asked for a shorter main slide to be sent to me, but I got no response, so I had it shortened and adjusted the mouthpiece by thinning the shank so as to insert it deeper into the receiver.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    [snip]
    *This process is linear in that you mentally formulate an equation in the form of W1B1+W2B2+W3B3...+WnXn, where the Ws are the weights you assign to different attributes/benefits, and the Xs are the scores you give the euphonium in each attribute/benefit. In this case if you assign a score of zero in any attribute/benefit, it does not necessarily rule the brand out.[snip]
    I love this analysis! Hats off to Jim; it applies to every major purchase I've ever made - including our house.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    The international standard for concert tuning has been set at A4=440Hz and, consequently, instruments are built to play in tune at this frequency. However many variables can affect this, temperature, mouthpiece size and shape, player's lips etc. Some bands, including those I play in, tune to A4=442/443 (to get a brighter sound),[snip]
    Note that many European orchestras tune to A4=442, so the instrument manufacturers have to take that into account. It's a problem for piano tuners when the visiting conductor wants the orchestra to use 442 instead of its accustomed 440 (even worse if they're playing Also Sprach Zarathustra and they have to re-tune the organ).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

So what are folks who have "perfect pitch" tuned to?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

One of the reasons that some bands/orchestras might be tuned to A=442 is because their melodic percussion (glockenspiel, xylophone etc) happens to be tuned to that for whatever reason when they purchased it, so the band has to conform to that to prevent headaches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12