Thread: Yamaha YEP-321 Euphonium 5 valve

1. Yamaha YEP-321 Euphonium 5 valve

For sale is Yamaha YEP-321 Euphonium that has been modified with a Yamaha large shank receiver. It includes a Stauffer (Kanstul) plug-in rotary fifth valve.
    Asking price: $2100 obo (includes US shipping)
    Link to pictures:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ze0qXwB8aD_qoB

This is a Yamaha YEP-321 Euphonium stenciled as a Holton B302R. It is NOT the newer Holton B490R (Weril H980) made by Weril. Yamaha manufactured euphoniums for Holton and Bach. As far as I can tell, this euphonium was manufactured sometime in the 1990s. It has the plastic valve guides still in use on modern Yamaha euphoniums. It includes the original gray case; the same as the Yamaha black version for that era.

I am the second owner of this instrument. I bought it from the original owner who used it for a few years in high school and then put it away after graduation. I purchased it about 10 years ago. I have played it infrequently, as it is for my doubling needs; I’m primarily a trombone player.

About two or three years ago I had this euphonium modified. I had the original lead pipe and receiver swapped out so that it is now large shank. The parts are genuine Yamaha; I believe it is from the YEP-621 model. It includes a plug-in rotary 5th valve. It is the aftermarket Stauffer model that was manufactured by Kanstul and available from Horn Guys for several years. I am the second owner. It is silver plated and in excellent condition. It has two tiny things that are imperceptible from the inside of the tubes and does not affect functionality or playing.

Overall, this euphonium is in very-good to excellent condition. There are a few minor dings and scratches. There is one area of the bell where it flexed during shipping. I’ve never seen the need to have it addressed. The lacquer is 95% intact or better. This euphonium was just in the shop for service and a chemical clean. The felts, valve guides, and springs are nearly new. This is a great playing instrument. It is very consistent and plays as you would expect of a Yamaha 321. The upgraded shank and lead pipe really open of the instrument in a good way. But doesn’t affect the characteristic tone and intonation of the model. With the large shank receiver you have greater options in mouthpiece selection. With the fifth valve plugged in the 4th valve loop, you can extend the range of the instrument (fully chromatic) down to B0 (below pedal B-flat). This set up would be familiar to tubists who use a flat whole step 5-valve or even bass trombonists who play dependent double valves. Tuning: B-flat/F/E-flat.

Included is the euphonium, original case, and plug-in 5th valve. Also included is the original small shank receiver. I no longer have the original lead pipe. And I even saved the original felt, valve guides, and springs, which will be included. I will cover shipping costs and fees within the continental United States. At this time, I am NOT shipping overseas. I MIGHT consider selling the instrument or 5th valve separately. I have priced this euphonium with consideration to its condition and modification/extras. I will entertain reasonable offers. Feel free to ask any questions in the comments, but please message me privately to purchase or make an offer. Thanks for looking!

You can private message me on the forum, but email will elicit a faster response: Roberson(dot)LarryPreston(at)gmail(dot)com

Was this horn up for sale a few months ago? (Perhaps by you? Or did you purchase it not that long ago?)

I owned that same horn (Holton-stenciled, lacquer finish) from 1988-2005. Was briefly my college horn (until I drank myself out of college). My case was a light brown for some reason.(same case, just different color.)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

3. Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Was this horn up for sale a few months ago? (Perhaps by you? Or did you purchase it not that long ago?)

I owned that same horn (Holton-stenciled, lacquer finish) from 1988-2005. Was briefly my college horn (until I drank myself out of college). My case was a light brown for some reason.(same case, just different color.)
    I listed this instrument a while back in several places (e.g. TubeNet, Facebook). I don’t think I listed it here, however. I’ve owned it for a number of years. Yamaha did stencil horns for Holton and Bach during that period. They did a 4-valve model like ours (YEP–321) and the 3-valve (YEP–201). And I assume they made the cases for them as well;They were virtually identical, except for color. The stock Yamaha case was black. The Holton cases were gray and the Bach cases were brown. That possibly changed at some point, considering your example.

P.S. If I recall correctly, they also did tubas and French horns for both companies as well.
    Last edited by Larry Preston Roberson; 03-04-2023 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Corrected