Thread: Strauss Horn Concerto for Euphonium

Strauss Horn Concerto for Euphonium

I love this piece, especially for developing a sense of long lines. Soon I will send Cimarron an arrangement for euphonium and piano, moved from the original Eb to a nice Bb for euphonium. (Later I will send them a version in the original key for tuba, down an octave in the solo.)

One question is how to get a sound that works best for this piece. Here are two examples, the second of which is an experiment to try a little brighter sound. Which do you think fits the best?

Example from Jan. 5:

https://youtu.be/LwN-jNuETDQ

Example from yesterday:

https://youtu.be/cLVTR62ZGy8

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

They both sounded great! My opinion only - the brighter sounding example sounds more authentic to my ear. But if I were personally performing on euphonium, give me the darker sound any day.

I like them both as well. The second one, a little brighter, I see you’re using a different horn. Looks like it has a screw-on bell, what is that?
    Last edited by RickF; 03-04-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I like them both as well. The second one, a little brighter, I see you’re using a different horn. Looks like it has a screw-on bell, what is that?
    Miel has kept himself busy! In this video, I was testing a prototype of an Adams E1 with a screw bell. Not sure if it will become a production model. If it does, will it be for a flat-sided case? Or for optional other rims of different materials? Time will tell!

In the meantime, the added screw structure adds some weight and affects the tone and feel slightly. The tone is more compact and centered and the response is very slightly less nimble. That might be noticed by an Adams veteran, but probably would not be noticed by someone coming from a different brand. It would be fun to be able to switch bell rims. Maybe I'd want one with a soldered bead and one with a crimped bead, or maybe one of red brass, or...???
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I agree with what the others have said, both versions sounded great. The difference in the two horns is noticeable, but both are nice. I wasn't too familiar with this piece, so I searched YouTube for a version on horn and clicked on the first one that had a player I recognized, David Cooper, just to get a since of what it is "supposed" to sound like. His interpretation sounded very lush and rich. Given that, I think I lean a bit towards the version on your trusted E3.

Having said that, this E1 prototype with a screw bell is very intriguing!

The fragment on E1 is quite interesting.... However, I much prefer the gravitas and expressive power in the tone of the E3.

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 03-05-2023 at 03:50 PM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

7. Dave,

It is a bit hard to compare the two since the 1st video is the beginning of the 1st movement which is in a slightly higher tessatura and which includes the opening "fanfares" which makes the euphonium sound more like a french horn. The second video is in a more romantic and melodic portion of the 1st movement mostly about a 3rd or 4th lower than the opening. The combination of the difference in the sections and style of the two licks and the difference in the horns makes it hard for me to judge. I prefer the resonance of the E3 in the opening of the 1st movement over the slightly deader sound of the removable bell E1 in the 2nd video.

By the way, even though transcribed down to Bb, the majority of this piece is still in upper tessatura for the euphonium. Doing the whole 16-18 minutes of the concerto uninterrupted as it is usually played will be demanding in Bb and probably almost impossible for most euphonium players (all but the very best) in Eb.

I think this transcription could be very successful on euphonium if one can use extremes of dynamic range to mitigate the fullness and heaviness of the euphonium (over the french horn). I like the style of Hermann Baumann's interpretation of the first 2 movements on Youtube as a style guide. I would use his phrasing and dynamics of several others I listened to as a style guide and marl my part accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEI6Vp9mEY4

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band