Thread: French Besson Bartitone Query

French Besson Bartitone Query

I recently purchased a F Besson Baritone, circa 1915. Original case, mute and mouthpiece; slides for Bb and C. 9" bell diameter, 28" length. Wondering what members can tell me about the instrument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	334100354_672177937994583_6007598064803279866_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	10146
    Stephen Haynes

Schilke XA1 cornet
    Schilke soprano cornet
    Schilke flugelhorn
    Schilke X4L trumpet

Besson New Standard Alto Horn
    Willson Solo Alto
    and a host of vintage cornets and flugelhorns

https://www.schilkemusic.com/stephen-haynes/

I can tell you that it is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Looks nice! It'd be a Bb saxhorn tenor rather than a baritone, although there isn't too much of a difference. Gustave Besson moved to London in the 1850s to avoid a patent dispute with Adolphe Sax. He left his wife, Florentine, in charge of the Paris factory - hence F(lorentine) Besson, or sometimes referred to as French Besson. I wonder if the slides are for high and low pitch rather than for Bb and C which would be a pretty large difference.
    --
    Barry

4. Wow! Great find, congratulations! It is a Saxhorn baritone (at least after the definition of Arban and Watelle, the Saxhorn tenor is also in Bb/C but only with three valves, the Saxhorn basse should have five).
    The Bb/C option was widespread in France (and you still can get it from Couesnon!) for playing in church on sunday morning with choir music in C and band music in the afternoon in Bb with the same horn and without thinking too much. From this tradition you find those strange parts in Bb bass clef in french/belgian/dutch editions.
    The F. Besson Paris horn are considered to be even better in quality than their London counterparts. Maybe the female touch?

That is a very well preserved horn!

Thanks for the great info Snake Charmer!
    --
    Barry

Thanks ever so much - all of you - for the warm response. And thanks, snakecharmer, for the detail on the Saxhorn. I am only just beginning to wade into playing the horn, as I am a high brass man who, up until now, only went as low as my Besson alto horn. I will say that, so far, playing the horn in C seems a bit easier. I am using the original mouthpiece, but, - once I understand what the shank is - will likely pick up a Wick, as that is what I am accustomed to on my low horns.

Again, thanks. Love the community and knowledge here, friends.
    Stephen Haynes

Schilke XA1 cornet
    Schilke soprano cornet
    Schilke flugelhorn
    Schilke X4L trumpet

Besson New Standard Alto Horn
    Willson Solo Alto
    and a host of vintage cornets and flugelhorns

https://www.schilkemusic.com/stephen-haynes/