Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	10144
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Wow! Hadn't heard that. Eastman's portfolio continues to grow. They acquired SE Shires several years ago, and all of the Shires Q series instruments are manufactured by Eastman using many Shires designs and those have been received well in the trombone community - and although I've never played one, the Q series euphoniums have been used by many of the DC area service band members, which shows they are clearly doing something right. Eastman also owns Haynes flutes and the world famous Bourgeois guitar company.

It will be interesting to see how they handle, specifically, the euphonium line.

They seem to keep the Eastman and Shires lines distinct. However, the Q41 was designed to directly compete with the 2900...so that will be interesting!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post

They seem to keep the Eastman and Shires lines distinct.
    In the trombone world, yes the Eastman, Shires Q-series, and Shires (US made) are distinct. However, before the Q-series, Steve Shires was "consulting" with Eastman long before the acquisition, and you saw many Eastman branded trombones with the very distinct Shires style F-attachment wraps and ferrules.

I would think Adams is punching a big hole in Willson sales.

Probably a smart business move by Eastman.

I heard a rumor about this at the beginning of january from a shires artist, but it's still a big surprise.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    I would think Adams is punching a big hole in Willson sales.

Probably a smart business move by Eastman.
    I think another huge potential punch in Willson long term sales will be from Besson as a result of the changes at North Texas. When you have a legendary euphonium professor in Brian Bowman who is a Willson artist and who had a phenomenal track of record of placing great euphonium players in the US service bands - and nearly all of those former students also playing Willson, and their students, etc., there is a huge trickle down effect. I don't think it is unreasonable to say that 80% of all of Willson euphonium sales have come from the US and most of that from the North Texas/US service band stream. Now enter an equally brilliant David Childs at North Texas - I think it will take years to be noticeable, but a quick glance at the North Texas euphonium studio already shows a minority of students playing Willson. I see lots of Bessons and Neos there. This isn't a trend I would expect to be noticeable for Willson right now, but 10 years down the road, who knows.