Thread: I'm back!

I'm back!

Hey Y'all - long time no see/hear! Hope everyone has been doing well the past 6 years - that is how long it has been since I've regularly played.

Thought I would share my quite unique medical situation that forced me to stop playing until late 2021. It all started in late 2016 when I would randomly have tingling and numbness in my lower lip. Back then it would occur once every couple of weeks and last for 10-15 minutes. But in 2017, it started happening more and more to the point that it would occasionally happen when I played - I talked to my then conductor about it, and he told me he had the exact same issue and it was likely allergies, and he said Claritin took care of his issues - well I tried Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec, and none of them worked for me. A few months later, becoming increasingly frustrated, I visited my allergist, who told me straight away that nothing that I was describing was consistent with allergies, especially with the way it was localized to the lower right lip. He said it might be a neurological condition. Uh oh - I've read how things like focal dystonia has ruined the playing of brass players. The numbness was one of many symptoms that could be focal dystonia - knowing that focal dystonia was incurable, I began to worry. The episodes came more frequently, and the final straw for me was when I was all alone in my band, and it had a solo - I told the conductor I wasn't sure if I could do it, and he arranged the clarinets to take my solo since they had cues, etc. It's a good thing, because I could not have played the solo. I became more dejected, and at the same time, my kid started taking private lessons on acoustic guitar - and in no time I became hooked also, and decided to give up on brass playing altogether - I just couldn't rely on my chops! I sold all of my brass equipment save for my old Bach 42B trombone that I bought from Mr. Chuck Levin himself in the mid-80s.

I had a blast learning acoustic guitar, and quickly became versed in all things Martin, Taylor and Gibson - you think brass players are gear heads, you haven't seen anything compared to what guitar players are like, LOL. The bouts of numbness continued throughout this entire period, but it didn't affect any of my playing or anything else, so life went on. Fast forward to May 2021 - long story about how it was discovered, but I got diagnosed with lymphoma of the oral cavity - a very rare iteration apparently. What I have is indolent, or slow growing, so it is unlikely to sneak up on me to become life threatening. Nevertheless, by the second treatment, the numbness went away completely - apparently the disease was impinging on a nerve in my lower lip for all of those years. By late 2021, I started playing my Bach 42B again - I never rejoined my old band, and I realized what a huge time commitment that was with my family, job, etc. but I resolved to play again one day again at my parish. And if y'all remember me, one of the biggest reasons I started playing euphonium was because of the Bach cello suites. I'm excited that I have a John Packer 274 headed my way - even 7 years ago, I was amazed that these clones were very nearly as good as the most premium instruments, and this Packer looks to be better than any of the clones I've ever played several years ago. I'm looking forward to it.

Looking forward to catching up with y'all - I certainly enjoyed the conversations over the years on the forum with Dave, Rick, Doug, and many others.

Cheers!
    Scott

Welcome back. What an inspiring story of set back, flexibility, determination, and discovery/recovery. The Bach Cello Suites await you and your new JP274. You'll have to post some sound bites. Wishing you all the best.

--Arnie
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Glad you found the cause and I assume the cure, or at least what will allow you to play again. Strange thing, these bodies of ours. You never quite know what might be in store for you, good, bad or otherwise.

Hope your new horn gets there soon and you are back to playing euphonium again real soon. Welcome Back!!!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Good call on the JP274!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Good call on the JP274!
    Thanks Larry - BTW I appreciated that post you made a few months ago that turned me onto to Capital Music - by far the best prices I've seen on these!

Hey, welcome back Scott! So glad to hear you found the problem and best of all, was able to get if fixed. Welcome back to playing brass again. Good luck with the JP horn. I've heard lots of good things about that horn.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Welcome Back!!
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Welcome back, Scott. Thanks for selling me your Neo!

Arul

Quote Originally Posted by cbz View Post
    Welcome back, Scott. Thanks for selling me your Neo!

Arul
    Hey Arul - that was a wonderful instrument! With my guitar habit, it will be a while before I consider something more premium like that in the future, but we shall see!

Take care!

Welcome Back!
    DANA - Getting ripped off by Texas A&M professors since 2024

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-