X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

A new "Backup" euphonium??!!

Ok, Ok... I told you all that I was down to just one instrument, my Adams E3. That lasted a whole two weeks. I got to thinking:

"What would happen if I had a gig and my Adams was being repaired?"
    "What would happen if I was doing an outdoor concert on a flat bed truck and didn't want to risk my Adams?"
    "What would happen if...???"

And I reached the conclusion I needed a backup instrument that would be sturdy but not too expensive. So, I have purchased a euphonium that just happens to be a of a brand and model I played for quite a while years ago but never owned. It will be shipped to me from overseas sometime after I get back from vacation in early March.

Not earth shaking news, but I think you will be pleased with my choice and I hope to have something to show you mid March...

Until then, here is to good playing!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band
  • iMav
    • May 2011

Keeping us in suspense?

I know James Thornton (whom I’ve mentioned before) keeps two 2900s around for that very reason (if one needs to be repaired).
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• 58mark
      • Feb 2013

I had to drop my Adams off at the shop this week to get something fixed, and asked if I could have it back by Saturday, because I have a Sunday Concert. The tech asked "Don't you have 4 Euphoniums???"
      I said "yep, but none of them sound as good as this one.

In addition to my E3, I have a packer 274 (Yeah, it's close)
      King 2280 (fun to play with quick light valves, but it doesn't have the tone)
      Besson 3V compensating Euph. (I gotta admit, I really like this one)

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
        • Jan 2019

At some point I will likely get a backup to my Sterling, although as a non-professional player, it will likely be an excess on my part. And it will likely be an ADAMS e3. Thinking red gold, brushed finish, maybe silver lead pipe, and likely with a trigger just because. But that's years away from now. But once I have two, that's it. I don't have the energy to swap out more than that and the bass trombone also keeps me busy.
        Arnold (Arnie) Williams
        Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
        Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
        Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
        Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
        Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
        Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

I have pondered my current horn collection and what I would get rid of. I currently like each horn quite a bit. (And know I am overdue for some detailed reviews!)

Just getting familiar with the Sterling. While my PT-7C works quite well for me on both JP horns…neither of the other two horns felt good with it. A 4AL seems to really make the Sterling sing (or helps me get it to sing).
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by iMav View Post
            I have pondered my current horn collection and what I would get rid of. I currently like each horn quite a bit. (And know I am overdue for some detailed reviews!)

Just getting familiar with the Sterling. While my PT-7C works quite well for me on both JP horns…neither of the other two horns felt good with it. A 4AL seems to really make the Sterling sing (or helps me get it to sing).

Larry,

I have played a 4AL almost exclusively since one came with my 1980 Soveregn until I switched to the Alliance DC4 a year ago on my Adams. You are indeed correct, the Sterling really does sing with the 4AL. 10-15 yrs ago when I first got it, I could use an Alliance E3 and open up the sound even more. If you are interested, I have 2 and could send you one to try.
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• DaveBj
              • Oct 2011

My backup is a 100-year-old Conn 86I
              David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
              2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
              2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
              2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
              Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
              Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• iMav
                • May 2011

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                I have played a 4AL almost exclusively since one came with my 1980 Soveregn until I switched to the Alliance DC4 a year ago on my Adams. You are indeed correct, the Sterling really does sing with the 4AL. 10-15 yrs ago when I first got it, I could use an Alliance E3 and open up the sound even more. If you are interested, I have 2 and could send you one to try.
                id love to give it a try!
                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• Matt Summers
                  • Feb 2023

Ok. I’ll bite.

Primary- Adams 5-valve

Backup - 1973 Besson

Just in case- 1930’s Buescher 5-valve Double-bell (my first horn)

Black-tie affair - 1895-1905 Cerveny

Flatbed truck band (I like that one) - 1920’s 4-valve York (kind of a beater, but plays great)

Then on to baritones

1980’s Besson Sovereign 3-valve comp

Schiller/JinBao 4-v non-comp (blingy, but playes better than it has any right to)

And if it’s TEOTWAWKI, I have trombones…

Comment

• iMav
                    • May 2011

I’ve got three trombones (well, four if you count the “p-bone”) and one trumpet. Perhaps I’ll add them to the signature at some point…
                    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• TheJH
                      • Dec 2014

I have my Willson and '79 Sovereign, I got the Willson first and the Sovereign later when I was... 19-ish? Because I was playing in a community band in my university city and back at my parents' local community bands. Especially early on I was travelling by train almost every week along with my other stuff, so taking a eupho in addition to that was not really an option, so I got the Sovereign so I could always leave one instrument at my parents to play in the weekends, and the other one at my dorm. It also meant I always have another instrument to play on when one of the two is gone for maintenance.

In the case of my baritones, I got my New Standard to play in one of the community bands around my parents' town since I *really* needed a compensated one for the pieces we play, and later on I got the Sovereign which is a band-owned instrument. So I still have the New Standard in the back of the closet just in case... or when I have to go marching
                      Euphoniums
                      2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
                      1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
                      Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
                      Baritone
                      1975 Besson New Standard
                      Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• daruby
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Matt Summers View Post
                        Ok. I’ll bite.

Backup - 1973 Besson
                        Matt,

I assume this has been your regular horn for years. Is it similar (or identical) to the one that Phil Franke used for many years? Large shank or medium shank?

Doug
                        Concord Band
                        Winchendon Winds
                        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Matt Summers
                          • Feb 2023

Hi Doug-

Up until a month ago, the Besson had been my go-to outside of work. My large receiver '73 and Phil's '75 were the same model (though his has "PDF" engraved on the front of the second valve casing). I used it as my primary concert instrument in the Marine Band from 2005-2014, for exactly that reason.

My other work horns there are a 1997 YEP-642 that was on concert duty from 1997-2005 and is now my marching horn, and a large receiver Willson 2900 bought by the band in 2014 as my current concert instrument. Mark Jenkins has dibs on that one already. My marching/ceremonial instrument for 1997-2005 was Mike Colburn's (medium) concert 2900 that he played on "Golden Age of Brass - Vol.3, and that one is now back in his hands.

Comment

• anadmai
                            • Mar 2022

Then on to baritones

1980’s Besson Sovereign 3-valve comp
                            I love to see a picture of this.
                            DANA

Meet the Family
                            Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
                            Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
                            Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
                            Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
                            Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
                            Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
                            Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• daruby
                              • Apr 2006

Hi Doug-

Up until a month ago, the Besson had been my go-to outside of work. My large receiver '73 and Phil's '75 were the same model (though his has "PDF" engraved on the front of the second valve casing). I used it as my primary concert instrument in the Marine Band from 2005-2014, for exactly that reason.
                              Matt,

I seem to recall that when Ryan McGeorge joined the band he had a Hirschbrunner, but he started playing a Sovereign 968. Did he use the 968 in order to blend better with the older Bessons that you and Phil were using? BTW, I first met Ryan in Boston at the US premiere of Blast! in the Wang center. Totally blown away by that performance. Didn't catch up with him again until the 2007 Falcone when he was in the US Marine Band Tuba/Euph Quartet.

Of course, this has nothing to do with backup horns.

Doug
                              Concord Band
                              Winchendon Winds
                              Townsend Military Band

Comment

Working...
                              X