Thread: Question/request: vented valves

Question/request: vented valves

Does anyone here have a vent hole in the side of their 3rd valve in a compensating Euphonium?

If so, can you feel air escaping from the bottom of the 3rd valve when playing a note involving the 4th valve?

If so, do me a favor, pull your 4th valve slide, plug up the side closest to the bell, push down the 4th valve and blow hard air into the horn. Do you hear air escaping out the bottom cap of the 3rd valve?

thanks

I have vent holes in mine, and I have never noticed any leaking. Using your suggestion above, I blew very hard and heard no leak (nor could I feel ANY air movement).

Not sure why the 4th valve's air flow would be involved. Do you get leakage if you leave the 4th valve up but plug the main output tube (the one that enters the main tuning slide)?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I found the culprit, I'll update the thread later. It had nothing to do with the vent holes

turns out the problem had nothing to do with the vent holes, the interior of the valve pulled away from the casing, causing a leak through the bottom of the 3rd valve whenever I used the 4th valve.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r4Y...usp=share_link