• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iMav
    • May 2011

Online euphonium ensemble

https://youtu.be/RzaqzPIbiCQ

I was watching videos like these the other day and thought, “wouldn’t it be cool to get a dozen or so forum members to put something together like this? I think that would be a ton of fun…

Just need an appropriate piece of music and some willing participants!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server
  • Sara Hood
    • Mar 2017

Yes it would (grin)!
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

Ok. Sara and Larry are in!
      Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• MStarke
        • Feb 2023

Would be interested. I have done a bit of trombone recording and like doing it if I find the time.

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Originally posted by MStarke View Post
          Would be interested. I have done a bit of trombone recording and like doing it if I find the time.
          I think part of it will be standardizing on software (or at least providing an easy-to-use framework) for all the participants to easily capture their recordings. I know how I would do it for myself...but I have a lot of hardware and software toys to play with in my recording studio.

I certainly would volunteer to put it all together.

Secondly would be finding/creating the piece and appropriate arrangement. I'd be willing to commission something if Dave were willing to put it together. Would be kind of cool to have him be able to then sell and arrangement that says something like "Commissioned for the Dave Werden online Euphonium/Tuba community".
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• Sara Hood
            • Mar 2017

I have almost nothing in the way of software, recording equipment, or video making experience. I have a webcam built into my computer, and a microphone/headphone set. Whatever video/sound software came with my desktop machine. That is about it.

Instrument wise, I have a compensated, British style baritone horn. I can get my hands on a compensated euphonium (3+1 configuration), if that is what is needed. I am more used to playing the smaller bore instrument. It would take a bit of practice to work with the larger horn. Skills wise, I am probably an advanced beginner. But this sounds so cool and fun that I want to do it, whatever it takes.

- Sara

Comment

• iMav
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Sara Hood View Post
              I have almost nothing in the way of software, recording equipment, or video making experience. I have a webcam built into my computer, and a microphone/headphone set. Whatever video/sound software came with my desktop machine. That is about it.

Instrument wise, I have a compensated, British style baritone horn. I can get my hands on a compensated euphonium (3+1 configuration), if that is what is needed. I am more used to playing the smaller bore instrument. It would take a bit of practice to work with the larger horn. Skills wise, I am probably an advanced beginner. But this sounds so cool and fun that I want to do it, whatever it takes.

- Sara
              Honestly, I believe a good smartphone would do the trick. We'd have some better (and certainly some worse) recordings mixed in. The fun would be mixing it all together appropriately (I love play with Pro Tools ).

Since this would be a fun endeavor...I think it matters not which horn you played...if you like the baritone horn, play it!

Anyways, I feel it is going to take some time to get the ball rolling on this...but will be a fun project!
              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                • Jan 2019

Would love to participate. Probably do my recording with my Samsung smart phone.

--Arnie
                Arnold (Arnie) Williams
                Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
                Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
                Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
                Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
                Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
                Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

• iMav
                  • May 2011

I'm seriously interested in doing this. Anyone have an idea of a good multi-part piece we could leverage? (something not needing piano accompaniment, of course)
                  Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                    • Jan 2019

Came across this pdf while doing a search on chorales for 4 euphoniums: Chorales are generally easy but provide wonderful harmonies. http://www.gatewayband.org/wp-conten...mbone_v1.0.pdf
                    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
                    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
                    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
                    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
                    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
                    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
                    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

• MStarke
                      • Feb 2023

I would definitely be interested and would be able to a) share some limited experience on the recording processes and b) would have quite a few trombone (!) ensemble pieces available on my end which could work well for euphonium.

I think most important would be to find someone who could manage the process end-to-end.
                      This would e.g. include providing a click-track, some simple guidance on how to record, collecting the audio (and video if desired) files, putting it together and cleaning it up.

There would also potentially have to be a joint understanding of the desired level of the result.
                      Obviously people bring in very different levels of playing, very different recording experiences and equipment etc.

Comment

• Sara Hood
                        • Mar 2017

Personally, I am fond of the "dog fight" part of most marches, and hymns that come under the heading of "fight songs". Something with meaty brass parts where the big voices of our horns comes through and state "We are here, and we have something to say!"

- Sara

Comment

• iMav
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by MStarke View Post
                          I would definitely be interested and would be able to a) share some limited experience on the recording processes and b) would have quite a few trombone (!) ensemble pieces available on my end which could work well for euphonium.

I think most important would be to find someone who could manage the process end-to-end.
                          This would e.g. include providing a click-track, some simple guidance on how to record, collecting the audio (and video if desired) files, putting it together and cleaning it up.

There would also potentially have to be a joint understanding of the desired level of the result.
                          Obviously people bring in very different levels of playing, very different recording experiences and equipment etc.
                          I'd have no issues doing the post-production...I would, however, like to know the easiest way to enable the participants to capture their part. (allowing them to listen to the "click track" and only capture their audio (and video...as I think that is one of the neatest parts of these projects...SEEING everyone!)

As far as quality...as long as there wasn't significant, discernible distortion in the final product, I'd be happy. We aren't recording an album here...just providing a fun project for the community.
                          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• tonewheeler
                            • Dec 2010

Definitely In.
                            Euphs:
                            Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                            Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                            Yamaha 201 Baritone
                            Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                            Groups: