Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Internet is Forever - Holst Second Suite in F

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Nice job! I can't totally tell who is playing because the camera was on the euphoniums for such a short time. Which one are you? Sorry for being an idiot. I think that is you on the left as I am looking at the band. But I could be wrong, I don't see too well.
    Thank you. You would be correct in your guess. I’m better looking today. The tomboy me was an awkward phase.

Lots of returning players here. It is encouraging. I stopped playing in 1989. Held on to my euphonium till around 2002 then sold it. (A Holton-branded YEP-321 stencil) Bought a Schiller in 2011 and goofed around on it for a year or so. Started playing regularly again just last fall.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

You sound great! Nice phrasing, full sound and tone and flawless intonation. The interval from the D to the G is tough and you nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by anadmai View Post
    I might have a cassette of this performance. [snip] And let’s go for broke and ask the bigger question… do I still have a cassette player? [snip]
    I had a similar problem - lots of reel-to-reel tapes of old performances (piano/organ), and my old Sony tape player had given up the ghost. I arranged with a digitizing company to transfer my tapes to WAV format and save on USB memory sticks. Then I transferred them to my computer, checked the EQ, cleaned up tape hiss and saved them in FLAC format. The cost was far less than buying a new reel-to-reel player.

The only bad point was listening to the recordings from an older perspective and realizing how my younger self couldn't tell the difference between playing real fast and making good music...
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    You sound great! Nice phrasing, full sound and tone and flawless intonation. The interval from the D to the G is tough and you nailed it.
    The me of ages past thanks you.
    DANA - Getting ripped off by Texas A&M professors since 2024

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

I found the audio recording of this concert!!! The cassette is good quality. Looks like a legit recording company was used.

I wonder if they’re still in business.

7. Quote Originally Posted by anadmai View Post
    And let’s go for broke and ask the bigger question… do I still have a cassette player?
    My local library (well... three towns over) has a music transfer station where you can convert tapes or CDs to MP3s on a thumb drive. You just have to be willing to hit play, then wait an hour.
    Maybe your library has something similar.
    Last edited by SteveMcGovern; 12-31-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMcGovern View Post
    My local library (well... three towns over) has a music transfer station where you can convert tapes or CDs to MP3s on a thumb drive. You just have to be willing to hit play, then wait an hour.
    Maybe your library has something similar.
    I have "something similar" in my bedroom".
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

We are playing this with my local community band this semester.

Still looking for the urtext version of the First Suite in Eb. None of my music store contacts have had any luck…
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

10. What publisher would choose to release a public domain work when it will immediately go up on imslp? They'll sell just one set.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast