Thread: IETF 2023 Competition?

IETF 2023 Competition?

I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm thinking of attending IETF at Emory in June. I'm a comeback player, originally from trumpet, probably at the level of a good high school student (I'm in my 40s).

I saw that there is an amateur section in the competition and it looks like this year we can pick our own piece.

A few questions:
    -Has anyone been to IETF and do you remember how many entries they tend to get?
    -What is typical playing level for amateurs at events like this?
    -Do you have any pieces you would particularly recommend?
    -What is the audience like for the competition (5 people? 100?)?

Thanks!
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

Hi, Comeback!

I've been to IETF five times and have competed three times in the Adult Amateur category. In general, that group gets a half dozen entries, maybe a few more. I don't think I've ever seen as many as ten. The level of playing that I've seen ranges from high school to good university level, but definitely not the level that can be seen in the Artist Division. The audience runs about 100. As for what piece to play, you can't go wrong with the old warhorses like Beautiful Colorado, Morceau Symphonique Barat's Andante and Allegro, Capuzzi's Andante and Rondo, etc. Those are the ones that come immediately to mind; others can add more. Given that it's "run what you brung," I'm thinking about bringing an original that that I premiered in a participant recital in '14.

Hope to see you there!

Dave
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

A piece that just occurred to me that might be nice is the Three Pieces for Euphonium that Thomas Rüedi wrote. I think they are fun to play, and fairly accessible for both player and listener. The sheet music includes recordings that Thomas Rüedi made of each of them that could be helpful if you want any performance or interpretation ideas.

https://www.thomasruedi.ch/product-p...-for-euphonium

I also thought of something that user Magikarp shared in another thread, that I really liked: Play something easier, play it with breathtaking ease and panache, and blow them away. Nobody wants to hear a struggle.

I must admit I find myself guilty of the opposite of that advice at times!

Have fun at IET, it seems like a really fun festival.
    Last edited by aroberts781; 02-01-2023 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    I also thought of something that user Magikarp shared in another thread, that I really liked: Play something easier, play it with breathtaking ease and panache, and blow them away. Nobody wants to hear a struggle.
    I totally agree with this; if nobody else had said it, I was going to come back and say it.
    David Bjornstad

Thanks everyone! Still on the fence over whether to enter or not. I thought it might be a few people in a classroom, but it sounds like it's larger/more formal, and I am also hearing that many of the players are at a quite high level. I know if I do it I will improve and meet more people, but it may also add more stress than I need to the start of the summer As always, I'm grateful for the friendliness of this group and the willingness to welcome people of all abilities.
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

The bigger the venue, the bigger the fun! (Especially if it is an acoustically great space.)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    The bigger the venue, the bigger the fun! (Especially if it is an acoustically great space.)
    The acoustics in that auditorium are amazing. Nobody has to use a microphone for announcements and narration. Check out the videos on my YouTube channel (David Bjornstad).
    David Bjornstad

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    The acoustics in that auditorium are amazing. Nobody has to use a microphone for announcements and narration. Check out the videos on my YouTube channel (David Bjornstad).
    Nice. (Checked out some of the vids)

Our local college just built a new fine arts building with a pretty great auditorium. I still want to get some time to record some with a few of my horns there for comparison…
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server