Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BESSON 2052 PRESTIGE, SILVER, M.I. UK, Adams E1 sterling silver or Willson 2900 TA?

Quote Originally Posted by simonm29 View Post
    https://www.kapwing.com/videos/63de64a5430040001eca2d92
    Thats this adams- video. Amy recommendation? No model sign on reciever, he is saying that previous owner sad is E1 but with heavy valve....can it be?
    Well, that complicates things a little! I believe I have previously seen an E1 with the heavy valve block, which was a custom order. So it's possible that is what this one is. That would probably make it feel/sound a bit more solid, like the E2, but the E2's biggest difference is the .80 metal, which makes it quite heavy.

Every Adams I've tried has the stamped receiver (actually, it is the receiver's "holder" that is stamped, not the part that you turn to adjust the AGR). But they are always making small changes, and they are all hand made, so I can't be totally sure. I tried to find some good photos showing the bracing along the bell, but could not. My understanding was that the E2 had a somewhat different placement of the top brace, I think.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

And the Willson

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/63de69b1430040001eca31a9

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/63de6a6f4adb7e00dc69b1d5

So, which one is in better condition and what about sound? Many thanks

Two very nice sounding euphoniums...

I am rather surprised that I enjoyed the tone of the Willson even more than the Adams... For some reasons, I am hearing more complex higher harmonics from the 2900 than from the E1-E2 hybrid.... Difficult to tell however if what I hear really reflects the horns or some quirk of the recordings instead.

Best, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

When I do comparison videos, I try really hard to use the same bell direction and distance from the mic - it can make an audible difference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams-Willson Video2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	375.7 KB 
ID:	9969
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Yes, its true
    Im concerned about the adams, if its originaly or whatever.... thinking to go with willson...dont know anymore

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Well, that complicates things a little! I believe I have previously seen an E1 with the heavy valve block, which was a custom order. So it's possible that is what this one is. That would probably make it feel/sound a bit more solid, like the E2, but the E2's biggest difference is the .80 metal, which makes it quite heavy.

Every Adams I've tried has the stamped receiver (actually, it is the receiver's "holder" that is stamped, not the part that you turn to adjust the AGR). But they are always making small changes, and they are all hand made, so I can't be totally sure. I tried to find some good photos showing the bracing along the bell, but could not. My understanding was that the E2 had a somewhat different placement of the top brace, I think.
    Hi
    Can it be found, the exactly model with which valve for example, sending to Adams the serial number ? Ty

Quote Originally Posted by simonm29 View Post
    Hi
    Can it be found, the exactly model with which valve for example, sending to Adams the serial number ? Ty
    It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I have no idea if they have a person with time to handle requests like that.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Adams has never failed to respond to me with queries…regarding how trivial. They HAVE taken a while, of course. But I think they would eventually get around to answering you, as they have time to do so.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Definitely prefer the sound of the Adams. The Willson has a lot of edge to the sound. It’s hard to take edge away. That’s the reason I bought an E2. The 1 and 3 broke up at the loudest dynamics, although Gary Curtin sounded sublime on his at the RNCM Festival Of Brass (side note - if any of you are in the UK at the end of January it really is worth a special trip to Manchester)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast