Thread: Prestige Valve Caps

1. Prestige Valve Caps

Has anyone had success with using lighter set of valve caps on the Prestige euph?

I know Steven Mead was using:
    Light - 1st, 2nd top
    Heavy - everything else

From my observations most people just keep the heavy caps on (factory default).

I like the feel and sound of light weights caps, at least in my small rehearsal room. However, I worry that the sound might not have enough focus / core.

I'm using a Hammond 11XL because for whatever reason I'm most in tune in the upper register with it. When I am on the 4AL or SM4U I'm way sharp in the upper register.

Regards,
    Ted
    Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
    Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

2. I don’t think the sound changes, it’s how it feels and responds to you personally that counts… a bit like having lighter springs etc. everyone’s physiology is different and preferences vary. If it feels right then it’s right for you.

I feel heavier caps and springs coordinate with my playing better than lighter ones. I am guessing you might be the opposite.

Mouthpiece choice will have a bigger difference over sound than valve caps IMO.

I believe jharris is correct. Adding weight helps with “slotting” the notes. So, playability improvement, and not sound/tone/etc improvement.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I am using heavy/light/heavy.

It seems to help some response in the upper register, but that may be placebo effect.

Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I did a bit of experimenting a while ago with my new Prestige.

I found that the heavier the setup is...the sound becomes more dull and heavy (which some may think of as "dark", depending on the listener/player), and with more defined slotting, but sluggish response.
    The lighter the setup is...the sound has more brilliance and is lighter, and the slots are wider, and response is better.

I double on tuba a lot, so I have a broader, darker approach to playing euphonium than others I have played with/talked to. So... I use a lighter setup to give my sound more brilliance, and I like having quick response for the way I play. Another player may benefit from "darkening" the sound because they tend to play on the brighter/narrower side (not that it's worse/better!), and they would benefit from a heavier setup.

This is all on a spectrum, I don't think anyone would benefit from all heavy or all light. If so...maybe they just need to practice more to get the sound they want
    Last edited by stevevaughn; 02-06-2023 at 12:32 PM.
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium