• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Preston Roberson
    • Jul 2010

Yamaha YEP-642SII Neo, used value

Greetings all,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have the option of receiving, in trade, a Yamaha YEP-642SII Neo. I am seeking a ballpark range of the used value. I have perused old sales on this forum and searched on the Web. But I would appreciate additional assistance, from those familiar with this model, in ascertaining the value of this euphonium. From the pictures and description the owner sent, it appears to be in excellent condition I’m not sure if it’s easy to post pictures here. So, I will share what I know, or assume, about it in terms of condition:

- Silver-plated,
    - approximately 5-6 years old, 1 or 2 owners
    - plating 100% present
    - no valve wear
    - 1-2 inch scratch on bell flare
    - small ding/dent on back 2nd valve compensating loop
    - missing lyre screw
    - original factory case

Thanks in advance,
    Larry
  • aroberts781
    • Sep 2014

I'm sure others will weigh in, but I'll get things started. My very first gut reaction to your question, in very ballpark numbers, was $5,000. Then I started searching the internet.

On eBay right now I just see two used 642II horns, one in lacquer for $5000 OBO, and one in silver with a trigger for $7400 that ships from Japan.

Searching the forum for old classified threads for Neos, I see in the last few years one with a trigger for $5500, one with "useful modifications" for $5250, and a pre-Neo 642 for $4500. There was also a pretty bogus looking thread from 2018 offering a Neo for $2,600.

So, after ten minutes of searching the web, I think I'll keep my initial, very ballpark-y guess around $5000, give or take a thousand bucks.

Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will weigh in, ha.
    1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
    1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

New pricing.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	6B63D559-8872-4D61-BDC4-22E84E90CD56.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	118294
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• aroberts781
        • Sep 2014

Larry,
        Those appear to be the current prices at Thomann, correct? Out of curiosity I looked up pricing at a few other widely known dealers. As with your Adams E3 thread, Thomann is a bit cheaper than everywhere else that I checked, which had the Neos in silver plate for around $7,000.

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Correct…Thomann Music pricing.
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• massmanute
            • Nov 2019

Originally posted by iMav View Post
            Correct…Thomann Music pricing.
            A few weeks ago I contacted Thomann about Yamaha instruments. They won't sell Yamaha instruments to US buyers due to contract issues. However, they will sell at least some other brands to US buyers, such as Adams.

Comment

• iMav
              • May 2011

Yep there are a few brands that have those restrictions. (Schilke is another one.)
              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• comebackplayer
                • Feb 2022

There's a 642s on facebook in apparently good condition for $3500. I've seen another one listed in that range. If the ebay ones haven't sold, then I'd put the retail lower, maybe 3500-4500. My general guideline on used instruments is for an instrument in mint condition I'd pay probably 2/3rds new price, very good 50%, and fixer-upper 20%.
                Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
                Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

Comment

• aroberts781
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by comebackplayer View Post
                  There's a 642s on facebook in apparently good condition for $3500. I've seen another one listed in that range. If the ebay ones haven't sold, then I'd put the retail lower, maybe 3500-4500. My general guideline on used instruments is for an instrument in mint condition I'd pay probably 2/3rds new price, very good 50%, and fixer-upper 20%.
                  Those seen like pretty reasonable guidelines comebackplayer, thanks for sharing!

Can you clarify whether that horn on Facebook is a 642S pre-Neo or a 642SII Neo?

Comment

• comebackplayer
                    • Feb 2022

I think it was just the 642s. I can't find it now. Yamaha also seems like it sells for cheaper in Asia/Australia. They do seem to have good resale.
                    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
                    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

Comment

• iMav
                      • May 2011

Curious in general what folks' opinion here is of the 642 Neo. The person I sold my E3 to "upgraded" from a 642 Neo. (I hadn't considered that as an upgrade...both being "pro" horns and all.)

But she is definitely finding it to be an upgrade...at least for her.
                      Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                        • Jan 2019

If you haven't already, check out the comparison Matoniz does of the Neo and Custom on youtube. He does a lengthy demonstration of both (Neo dark traditional sound; Custom lighter somewhat more responsive). I believe it's more contrast than say between ADAMS E1 and E3.

I think depending on your own personal tastes, going from any pro horn to another can be perceived as an upgrade.
                        Arnold (Arnie) Williams
                        Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
                        Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
                        Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
                        Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
                        Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
                        Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

• Ajeasley
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by iMav View Post
                          Curious in general what folks' opinion here is of the 642 Neo. The person I sold my E3 to "upgraded" from a 642 Neo. (I hadn't considered that as an upgrade...both being "pro" horns and all.)

But she is definitely finding it to be an upgrade...at least for her.
                          I played a Neo for about 4 years and an E3 for about 15 minutes, so my basis for comparison is inherently flawed, but I'll give it a go...

Performance: It's apples and oranges. Both horns sounded nice and played in tune well. Opinions beyond that will come down to personal preference. The Adams was likely a bit darker, dare I say more "British". I suspect with time that I could get what I needed out of either horn and end up sounding like me.

Build Quality: The Yamaha did everything I needed it to over 4 years in a military band. A repair tech friend of mine noticed a few spots where the horn had some corners cut in terms of the build, but I've never played a bad Yamaha in that regard. I can't speak to the Adams over the long haul, but it felt great in the hands and the craftmanship gave off a high end vibe. The adjustable gap receivers have always befuddled me, but I haven't spent enough time with an Adams to feel compelled to figure it out - surely it's something you would get used to.

So, is the E3 an upgrade over the Neo? Eh, kinda. Mileage will certainly vary from player to player.
                          Andrew Easley
                          Principal Euphonium, 35th Infantry Division Band of the Kansas Army National Guard

Comment

• iMav
                            • May 2011

You can get good deals via Japan-based eBayers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3821987-1185-46A1-9391-2A9C86F070F0.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	118352
                            Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

Working...
                            X