Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams Sonic with 5th Valve

1. OK, probably time for me to register on this forum. Done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbWrn9-zMo&t=22638s Link to my performance with the JMUBB at 2023 TUSABTEW here. Party Piece starts at 6:07:00

I'd just held the horn for the first time at the exhibits the day before, and then had it for about 90 minutes before that solo. I didn't need to use the 5th valve in Party Piece, except for the double-pedal BBb (attempts). So that performance is effectively the same as one on a 4-valve Adams Sonic.

The shorter/lighter valves are really nice. Less inertia...

The instrument itself has a different response curve than the E-1,2,3 and had a very accessible color palette, though MAYBE not the sheer top end volume as a compensating horn with a relatively heavier valve block. (not just reciprocating mass).

The difference should be 100% on the side of the player, and a listener shouldn't really be able to tell the difference. It's all in the sound production.

Welcome to the forum, Matt!

I have isolated your "Party Piece" solo in this video. Nice job! It was fun that soloists at this conference had brass bands to play with, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASTh...BE2B03&index=5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot000111.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	9980
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

...or that fingering chart was written in transposing bass clef, as was/is common in many countries.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

All, I just received an email from Josh at ACB with good news about availability and pricing of the new Sonic with 5 valves.

The Adams 5-valver euphonium will be priced at $6,000 US. Josh added that build time for the special order might take several months.

For more information, please call Josh at ACB:

816-410-0826, x.6
    +1-781-816-9664

Best, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Thank you. I will be discussing this with my teacher at my lesson TODAY.

Will be placing my order tomorrow.

Hey Ann, fabulous!

BTW, Josh and some of the ACB gang are attending TMEA this week.... You might need to leave him a phone message at extension 6... In my experience, Josh is always pretty good at calling back.

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    All, I just received an email from Josh at ACB with good news about availability and pricing of the new Sonic with 5 valves.

The Adams 5-valver euphonium will be priced at $6,000 US. Josh added that build time for the special order might take several months.
    Cool!!! Too rich for my blood, but I'm glad some folks are going to have the chance.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I hope they offer it with the long whole step 1st valve, it's a much more tried and true solution

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    I hope they offer it with the long whole step 1st valve, it's a much more tried and true solution
    Color me ignorant. Isn’t the first valve always a whole step down? Are you referring to long tubing so it can be modified to a step and a half (or lower)? Curious as to what you mean.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

10. The prototype is going home with me today, having been displayed and test played by many at the Army Workshop and Adams Brass day at Chuck Levin's.

I'm looking forward to having some quality time with it to explore some of the new in-the-staff fingering options. (B)1-5, (C) 2-5 and the like, which may help to eliminate some fast cross-fingerings. (If it's fast enough to be awkward, fine tuning isn't an issue)

Tuning wise, the independent Gb valve has many uses on it's own, not just in combination with 4th valve.

The motion of closing the left hand (touch your middle finger and thumb together) is a natural motion, and leaves three full fingers on the left hand to support the instrument.

It's easiest to play (4,5) with thumb and middle finger, but for independent use, play 4th with which/whatever you want...

The design of the instrument precludes the option of a tuning-trigger, but most of the players here in DC I've talked with agree that euphoniums tune at the mouthpiece anyway...(Like my Willson 2900, Yamaha 642, and '73 Besson Sovereign)

Oh, and this is my first adjustable receiver instrument, and it is remarkable what a difference in feel a turn or two in either direction makes.

The instrument is physically lighter than some euphoniums out there, though from the tuning slide on out it is identical to the E-1. This horn does not play like a heavy E-2. It is well suited to chamber work, and for solos it has an accessible tonal palette.

I'll be playing it in Marine Band rehearsals later this month, and THAT will answer any questions about volume and ensemble work...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast