Thread: Yamaha 842 vs. Adams E3

Yamaha 842 vs. Adams E3

Some day (maybe a few years from now at the earliest) I might consider upgrading to a high end euphonium. Two models that sound interesting are the Yamaha 842 (I guess the current version is 842TS) and the Adams E3. I was wondering if anyone can comment on the differences between the two. Let's not worry about the finish (lacquer or silver) or the presence or absence of trigger. I'm more interested in the underlying fundamentals of the instruments.

From what I have been able to gather by listening to some audio on the internet my impression is that the tone quality of the 842 is probably brighter. Is that correct? Personally, although this probably differs from most players, I don't mind a brighter tone quality. Maybe that's just a hold over from the memory of how the instrument I played as a youth sounded (a Conn bell forward three valve American style baritone horn.)

How about intonation? I have seen comments about both instruments, and they are generally very favorable about the intonation of both the 842 and the E3. Is one noticeably better than the other when it comes to intonation? I have read comments on the internet that Adams instruments have the best intonation. Does that apply in comparison to the 842?

How about other aspects of the instruments?

Thanks.

From what I've heard and read about the Yamaha euphoniums I would consider the 642 Neo before I considered the 842. Seems that the 842 doesn't project as well as the 642, and I prefer the darker tone of the 642 as well. Maybe if I was a soloist I would consider the 842, but as an ensemble player I would rather have that warm dark tone and better projection. If you like the sound of the 842 by all means go for it, your happiness is the most important part. Just beware the worse projection
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have owned a Yamaha 842, and I currently own an Adams E3. The Yamaha was about 10 or so years ago. And I have had the Adams now 6 1/2 years.

The Yamaha 842 was a good horn, but a few things I didn't like. High B natural was bad. Intonation in general was not as good as I wanted. The horn was on the bright side. But I owned it for several years and did like it fairly well. I switched to the Miraphone M5050 from the Yamaha for a darker, deeper tone and certainly got that. Also, the best B natural of any horn I have played to include the Adams E3 (whose B natural is pretty good, but not perfect).

After a few years with the M5050, it was on to the Adams E3, which I own now and have for over 6 years. Intonation is best of any horn. G in the staff a little sharp with 1&2, so use 3 for notes of any length. High A is flat, but not unusual for most euphoniums.

So, to directly answer your questions, the Adams has better overall intonation than the Yamaha. I prefer the tone quality of the Adams, not only over the Yamaha, but over any other horn I have played. The Yamaha is indeed brighter than the Adams. I also think the response is better on the Adams than the Yamaha. I believe the Adams sound carries better than the Yamaha. The Adams is smoother when slurring notes without changing valves, i.e. from F in the staff to Bb on top of the staff.

The build quality and finish of the Yamaha are excellent as are most all Yamaha horns. The Yamaha 842 is a nice horn, just not comparable to the Adams E3 IMO. I can't compare it with the Yamaha 642 as I don't have any real experience with that horn.

I can't think of one reason why I would get a Yamaha horn over an Adams E3, but I still think the Yamaha 842 is a nice horn.

Adam Frey plays on the Yamaha 842, at least he used to. Here is a little of him playing "Pantomime" by Philip Sparke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVBlM7l26I
    Last edited by John Morgan; 01-08-2023 at 12:27 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

The lead pipe on the 842 is lower than any of the Yamaha model horns. It might be a consideration if you need to use a pad or pillow to help hold up the horn when seated See this post here:
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    The lead pipe on the 842 is lower than any of the Yamaha model horns. It might be a consideration if you need to use a pad or pillow to help hold up the horn when seated See this post here:
    The ergonomics of the 842 alone would disqualify it for me. The low leadpipe (with more bell wraparound) makes the horn feel "smaller". It was originally designed for an srtist of smaller stature. The way one holds the Adams E3 is very similar to my Sterling or a Besson Prestige. The 842 is just uncomfortable for me to hold.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band