Thread: My Project: Arranging Songs by Female Composers

My Project: Arranging Songs by Female Composers

There are lot of wonderful songs out there, but unfortunately some composers who were women did not get much traction in the marketplace despite the nice songs they wrote! I decided it's time to look at this category and build some arrangements. In many cases I'll probably work for a suite of 3-4 songs by a given composer.

My first venture was before I though of the larger project. Here is the song "Homing" by Teresa Del Riego. It became part of my International Songbook for Euphonium (available from Cimarron Music). Here is the video from a live recital in May, 2022, with Christa Pearson on piano:

https://youtu.be/t6je2JUZU-E

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Here is another. Sara and I were reading Cecile Chaminade's "Greenlandic Song" in draft of my new arrangement. (Look for this to be published in 2023, probably as part of a Chaminade suite.)
    https://youtu.be/BoQsnihHkU0

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

If you are looking for music, please consider including something from Fanny Mendelssohn aka Fanny Hensel. I have enjoyed hearing her compositions played on the local classical music radio station. It would be interesting to hear some of her work arranged for low brass.

Please yourself as you decide who to include. I could not resist the opportunity to kibitz.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    If you are looking for music, please consider including something from Fanny Mendelssohn aka Fanny Hensel. I have enjoyed hearing her compositions played on the local classical music radio station. It would be interesting to hear some of her work arranged for low brass.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, I am close to finishing a 6-movement suite by Fanny. I have a brass quartet and euphonium-quartet version so far, and will probably add a brass quintet version as well.

She writes nicely, and I may try to do some of her songs as well. So far I have lined up (for serious testing) Cecile Chaminade, Amy Beach, Augusta Holmes, Clara Schumann, and Chiquinha Gonzaga. I am have a few others in my queue to look at: Villa Abrahams, Florence Price, Clara Rogers, Ethel Smyth, and Henriette Bosmans. But I'll focus on the first set to get things started.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Another Composer to Consider

Here is another female composer you might consider: Hildegard of Bingen. Mother Hildegard would be a nice addition, not only because she is female, but because she is also an early composer of sacred music. Since she well proceeds the development of brass instruments being able to play all the notes in the scale, it would be interesting to see/hear if any of her compositions sound good when arranged for low brass. A fun challenge, wouldn't you agree?

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240