Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarke Studies

Speaking of playing in different clefs, the following question might be better posted as a separate thread, or maybe posting it in this thread is good enough.

Is anyone reading treble clef concert pitch? I would like to develop this skill because it will open up a much wider universe of music to be easily accessible. I have played around a little with this but haven't pursued it very far yet.

I learned to transpose on Bb trumpet a couple of years ago (go up a step and add two sharps). I use it primarily to play hymns and jazz standards. It also made euphonium and trombone appealing, because I could in theory play them the same way. I would practice with simple lyrical music you're already familiarize with and go from there.
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    Speaking of playing in different clefs, the following question might be better posted as a separate thread, or maybe posting it in this thread is good enough.

Is anyone reading treble clef concert pitch? I would like to develop this skill because it will open up a much wider universe of music to be easily accessible. I have played around a little with this but haven't pursued it very far yet.
    As stated above, when playing the treble clef line in hymnals. Or when playing the treble clef line on the piano. If you read treble clef already (as in treble clef for trumpet or baritone), you simply go up a full step and add a couple sharps. It is a good ability to have, especially when playing music in church from hymnals. If you are a bass clef reading euphonium player, then you can play the bass clef line from the hymnals without any transposing, which is handy.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Yes, playing from hymnals are a part of what I have in mind. Also, playing from fake books of folk music, the great American Songbook, and popular music. Also, maybe even playing the occasional classical or baroque piece that is written in treble clef concert pitch.

I am not, but this sort of transposition (as a treble clef reader) is standard fare for trumpet players
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

I do it a fair bit. I just pretend that I am singing and it takes care of itself playing wise. For reading an alto line (or if the lead sheet is a song which is clearly an alto), one can get away with playing 'as written' for anything below written 3 space C.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    ....For reading an alto line (or if the lead sheet is a song which is clearly an alto), one can get away with playing 'as written' for anything below written 3 space C.
    "...one can get away with playing 'as written' for anything below written 3 space C". Can you explain this a little further?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

[snip]Is anyone reading treble clef concert pitch? I would like to develop this skill because it will open up a much wider universe of music to be easily accessible. I have played around a little with this but haven't pursued it very far yet.
    I have played with a dixieland band that uses a dixieland fake book - my copy is for C instruments. Since piano was my main instrument for decades, I did a lot of reading from piano parts.

If you're referring to day-to-day reading with the orchestra or bands I play with, the vast majority of my parts are bass clef, some in tenor clef, a few in treble clef (Bb) and finally a part in alto clef every now and then.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    "...one can get away with playing 'as written' for anything below written 3 space C". Can you explain this a little further?
    I will try to reword this though I do this automatically without thinking about it.

Reading a piano part or a vocal part, written middle C first ledger line below the treble clef is the same note as first ledger line C above in bass clef (1st valve). Some alto vocal parts lines do not go over 3rd space C which is roughly same as the practical range for amateur euphonium players. So one can play the part as written or one can play the part down an octave for the first verse and play it as written 2nd time. I done this a couple of times with a couple of Lauren Daigle's songs. It is a nice effect.

Simply put…playing “as written” is limited by his usable range on the euphonium.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast