Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K+G 4D+ First Impressions...

K+G 4D+ First Impressions...

Sorry to tease but I will let you all know tomorrow! Just came back from four days hill walking and mountain climbing in Wales having had it shipped from Thomann whilst I was away. My experiment, reverting back to the 4AL a few months ago, made me consider the K+G range. The weight is distributed a similar way, but these are designed specifically for euphonium. If it feels much the same I would consider that a success, as I've very much been enjoying my 4AL!
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

I've got a K&G 3D I haven't spent too much time with. (currently bouncing between my SM4U and PT-7C)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Will love to see your impressions! I’ve been on a K&G 4D for a few months now and have loved my sound on it. It just feels a little small (as others on the forum have warned), so I’ll be moving up to a 3.5D+ soon. Interested to see how the Masters Range compares to the standard as well.

Sam, were you coming from a 4 size mouthpieces from other brands/26mm rim?
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Quote Originally Posted by UglyGrayDuck View Post
    Sam, were you coming from a 4 size mouthpieces from other brands/26mm rim?
    In a very roundabout way yes haha. My daily driver before this was a Warburton Brandon Jones that I eventually felt to have too large of a rim diameter and too large of a throat for me. I switched between several used 26 mm sized pieces (Bach, Wick, Schilke, and Stork) before biting the bullet and buying a K&G, something I had wanted to do for several months.

So I have done a short play on it (and maybe tired myself out before band later oops). I was intending to go back and forth on the 4AL and 4D+ on some studies to compare but once I put the 4D+ in I didn't want to take it out.

The feeling of playing was very similar in the middle dynamics and middle range (and indeed it sounded quite similar), but I felt the mouthpiece could take a lot more in the loud stuff. It needed less support in the high stuff (perhaps, a bit like the SM4X, it fought back a little bit when really going for it) and the quiet stuff had such a lovely warm and round sound. The articulation was so easy, which I guess is the point of the masters range! I could do with the backbore being a bit wider maybe, and perhaps I will consider switching to the 3.5D+ in a year or so, but for the time being I'm pretty certain I've found my mouthpiece!

I've got band later, and the possibility to switch from a York Eminence to a recently tracked down German Besson of either Sovereign or Prestige variety, so could well be all change in my equipment a lot sooner than I realised
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

I came across the K&G mouthpieces 6 or 7 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I get to try something different every once in a while, but so far K&G wins big. I usually play on the 3D+ on euphonium and French C tuba and on the T4B-C on trombone. Too bad the master series ( marked +) for trombone is limited to size 4.5, too small for me. I love K&G mouthpieces!
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

After band a couple of nights ago I confirm it works on my new band instrument also, which is a German Sovereign with a trigger. What I felt initially at home (and on the York) about preservation of tone when pushing or projecting is true there also, which means I found a lot of security in the solo passages I was covering for an absent principle euph
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I came across the K&G mouthpieces 6 or 7 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I get to try something different every once in a while, but so far K&G wins big. I usually play on the 3D+ on euphonium and French C tuba and on the T4B-C on trombone. Too bad the master series ( marked +) for trombone is limited to size 4.5, too small for me. I love K&G mouthpieces!
    Design seems to work well for me! Seems to be somewhere between a Bach and a Wick in cup depth and weight distribution. Rim feels like a Wick rim (ie quite flat) which I guess bucks the modern trend of rounded rims but I don't mind as I've always played on a flatter rim
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

Buongiorno Franz un'informazione, ho sempre suonato l'eufonio e il trombone con bocchini alliance wa72/6 molto comodi con tazza da 25,40 mm, e un bore di 7,40 mm, ho sentito parlare molto bene dei K&g tanto che vorrei provarne qualcuno per l'eufonio con la misura della tazza non piu' grande di 25,40 mm ma ho sentito he le misure di questi bocchini sono piu' piccole rispetto alla realta' quindi ero indeciso se prendere un 5o un 5,5 d, mi puo' consigliare quale dei due sarebbe piu' vicino come misure all' Alliance grazie mille Lele.

Edit to translate: Hello Franz, one piece of information, I have always played the euphonium and the trombone with very comfortable alliance wa72/6 mouthpieces with a 25.40 mm cup, and a 7.40 mm bore, I have heard very good things about K&G so much that I would like try some for the euphonium with the cup size no bigger than 25.40 mm but I heard that the sizes of these mouthpieces are smaller than the real thing so I was undecided whether to get a 5 or a 5.5 d, Can you advise me which of the two would be closest to the Alliance in terms of measures, thanks a lot Lele.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-19-2023 at 06:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast