Thread: Besson Prestige made in England

Besson Prestige made in England

Hi everybody,
    I have a little question I am sure someone can answer.

I own a Besson Prestige 2052 England made around 2004.
    I wonder if the valve stem and valve is one part or the valve stem is screwed to the valve?
    You can order spare valve stem but only for later German made horns.

Thanks for any input.
    Mathias
    Stadtmusik Todtnau
    Besson Prestige 2052-2 (2004)
    Denis Wick SMU3X

2. I have owned both a 2001 Sovereign and a 2007 Prestige. The tapered stem on the later German made horns was specifically made to be unscrewed since that is how the valve guides are changed. The guide is held in place with a positive ledge in the stem itself and cannot be removed unless one unscrews the stem. The English stem may be screwed in (I never had reason to take one out), but it is non-tapered and the guide is a friction fit into the recessed part next to the piston. One changes the guide by pulling it down over the upper part of the stem while the stem is still attached to the piston. The felts, dampers, and guides are the only interchangeable parts between English and German horns. The actual piston diameter and all of the threads are different.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks for the explanation Doug.
    I also do it like you said to remove the guide by pulling it over the stem.

The reason I like to remove the stem is that I would like to polish the stem as they are looking a little dirty. And I don’t want to polish it with the valve attached.