Thread: Mouthpiece Visualizer for placement

Mouthpiece Visualizer for placement

Here's an interesting one (I think so, anyway)

Have any of you used a visualizer to see how your embouchure is actually lining up with the rim of a mouthpiece with your current placement?

I've got a bunch of Doug Elliott rims, and just out of curiosity, I looked at my buzz in the mirror. I noticed that the aperture of my embouchure was off center, and was being impeded by the actual rim when using my "normal" placement. If I move the piece to where the aperture is centered in the rim, the sound of the buzz improves, and once I put the piece back together, it seems like my sound and consistency are improved. (Obviously, time will tell).

It feels a little strange "setting" in a slightly different position than normal, but I'm all for it if it improves things. I can get used to it.

Just wondering if anyone has done this. (I know they sell actual visualizers, and I've heard anecdotally that Arnold Jacobs used this method with his students.

Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I haven’t but when talking with potential online teachers, a couple listed this as one of the things they’d do with me.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I've done the same thing as you Mike using a Doug Elliott rim. My two front upper teeth are a little crooked so I'm a little off center to my right.

When I played trumpet my private teacher tried to get me to center up as my embouchure looked off center to anyone looking on. Now that I'm playing euph it's not that big a deal.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Rick, I was about to reply saying something similar! My teeth are also a little crooked, so my most comfortable embouchure is a little off to my right. Otherwise one of my teeth kinda digs into my lip.
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Yeah, when I am done playing and look at the ring around the mouth, mine is not perfectly centered. I have a lower front tooth that juts out more than the others, and I think that is the reason. But my embouchure feels comfortable the way I play. I have in the past tried centering everything, and the result was not to my liking, so I am staying put with what I have.

But I have not tried the visualizer. My visualizer is looking at the ring on my lower lip when I am done. Is it worth it to try using it now?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)