Thread: ITEC in Tucson in June

ITEC in Tucson in June

If I don't have this confused with something else, I'm planning a trip this June as a birthday present to myself to attend ITEC. If I do make it there, I will avail myself of the opportunity to test all of the ADAMS line as well as anything else that looks interesting, like a Miraphone 5050 ambassador and a Besson 2052-2. I used to live 70 miles from Tucson on border with Mexico and looked forward to weekend trips there as it was something of an Oasis (without water) in a vast desert landscape. Anyone attended ITEC in this city? Hotel/motel recommendations? I believe U of Arizona euphonium studio teacher Matt Tropman will be in attendance. He's a former Marine Band player and has a few youtube videos that are pretty darn impressive, such as this one titled Cascades (I believe he's playing an ADAMS E1 here; he once upon a time, I believe, was an ADAMS artist with the E2 as his preferred model, but has come over to the dark side (as some would say) to the E1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLc60iwWokg

See any of y'all there?
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Oops; looks like it's being held in Tempe, not Tucson, at Arizona State U campus (not U of A). My bad.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)

Oops; looks like it's being held in Tempe, not Tucson, at Arizona State U campus (not U of A). My bad. And it's ITEA, not ITEC (I'm just full of errors today).
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams

Another clip of Tropman with piano accompanist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6E6KnkQk9U
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Arnbone Euph View Post
    Anyone attended ITEC in this city? Hotel/motel recommendations?
    I done it various ways over the years, but the best way to enjoy the conference it by staying at the conference hotel. You generally have a lot more "in passing" meetings with other attendees, which for me is a valuable part of the experience. The official hotel is now my default way of doing these conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnbone Euph View Post
    And it's ITEA, not ITEC
    Well, you're kind of right either way, but the event is an ITEC (International Tuba Euphonium CONFERENCE) run by the ITEA (International Tuba Euphonium ASSOCIATION).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

It's been 20 years since I attended ITEC (Greensboro, NC in 2002). I too stayed at the featured hotel. I remember an informal gathering in one large room where they had a jam session and refreshments. Oystein Baadsvik walked around the room playing 'Fnuug', which I think he introduced to everyone that year. Also Marty Erickson (tuba) and Doug Elliott (trombone) performed. Many others I can't remember right now.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hey! I was there in 2002 as well! Lots of fun! I'm looking forward to returning for the first time since then! I also hope to run into other Euphonium players from here!