Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quandary

A Quandary

I have been left in a bit of pickle, and I really have no idea what to do. I value the opinions of the members here so your views with be appreciated.

As you’re aware I ordered a bespoke Adams E2 Euphonium, which I love. Exactly as I wanted, it is with one possible exception - the best euphonium I have played.

The problem is this. The one instrument that I would ever change from the Adams to, is probably going to available to buy in the next few days. It is the very first Boosey & Hawkes Round Stamp Sovereign made. It was made for Lyndon Baglin, and I have briefly owned it previously. Its owner bought it directly from Baglin himself in 1991 and with the exception of the two years I had it, has used it ever since.

I do not have the money to be able to buy it outright and keep the Adams.

What should I do?

It is an iconic instrument and is quite unlike any B&H or Besson Euphonium I’ve ever played.

I guess I can always order another Adams at a later date, if need be. I certainly do not need need two euphoniums, although the greedy bugger in me likes the idea.

It’s a fascinating predicament!
    Nowt

Retired

Since you seem to be intimately familiar with the horn (history, condition, playability, etc)...it simply comes down to your desire.

FWIW, there is not a wrong decision to be made here. Keep the Adams...great horn, great fun. Reacquire the Sovereign...great horn, great fun.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Two thoughts. 1) the only drawback to the Boosey is its age. Is it in great condition still? 2) you say this Boosey may be the best euphonium you’ve ever played. As you say, you can always order an Adams. But this Boosey is a unique piece.

Agreed with Michael. As with my Round Stamp that's 5-ish years younger... the valves will have worn down. Who knows how much longer before they have to be rebuilt (if they don't have to be already)?

Aside from that, it's purely your preference indeed.

The instrument dates from 1974 and is on its second set of valves (that we are aware of!). They were replaced with 1990s valves and as far as I am aware, certainly in my brief period of ownership, are pristine.

The rest of the euphonium is standard apart from the third slide which was replaced with 1st slide with a water key, and the slides have been gold plated in the last couple of years.

The plating in general is absolutely superb.

I guess the only thing to do is play them back to back and see what leaps out at me!

Hello Magi... Excellent idea to perform a good A/B test of the two horns.

One question: what made you sell the B&H back then?

G
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I bought it from my mate on the understanding that when he wanted it back, I’d sell it back to him for what I paid for it.

I’m not going to make the same offer again because he is retiring from playing euphonium altogether.

Following my own advice ~ never underestimate the obvious ~ I believe the answer to your question (What should I do?) may be found by looking at the avatar you have chosen…a B&H Round Stamp…over the Adams brand.

The heart wants what the heart wants…and one does not get second chances very often in life.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Now that you have had the Adams for a while, I think you should go meet up with the B&H and introduce each other. Then seriously play both for a while. See if the fire still burns in your heart for the Round Stamp. Which one really does sound better?

I have a B&H Imperial from 1956 that I drove many miles to get a few years back. I would never want to part with it, but my Adams plays better and sounds better. If I had to have only one, I would choose my Adams E3. But if I only had the B&H for the rest of the days of my life, it wouldn't be so bad either.

So, it may be slightly different for you. The Round Stamp is almost 20 years younger than my Imperial, and probably plays and sounds better. But does it outperform the Adams? If you can only have one, chose the one you want to grow old with.

Best case, rob a bank and get the Round Stamp. Well, maybe don't do that exactly, but find the bucks (pounds) to get it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Now that you have had the Adams for a while, I think you should go meet up with the B&H and introduce each other. Then seriously play both for a while. See if the fire still burns in your heart for the Round Stamp. Which one really does sound better?

I have a B&H Imperial from 1956 that I drove many miles to get a few years back. I would never want to part with it, but my Adams plays better and sounds better. If I had to have only one, I would choose my Adams E3. But if I only had the B&H for the rest of the days of my life, it wouldn't be so bad either.

So, it may be slightly different for you. The Round Stamp is almost 20 years younger than my Imperial, and probably plays and sounds better. But does it outperform the Adams? If you can only have one, chose the one you want to grow old with.

Best case, rob a bank and get the Round Stamp. Well, maybe don't do that exactly, but find the bucks (pounds) to get it.
    I ordered the E2 after AB testing with my round stamp. It was chalk and cheese, and as previously mentioned the B&H was comprehensively outgunned in every department. However, that round stamp did not play anything like the one I am deliberating over.

I'll get it for a few days, once I have thrown off this hideous lurgy that's currently enjoying its third week of occupancy, and do some serious comparisons.
    Nowt

Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast