Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CousinJack
    • Apr 2020

I would ask the composer. As a composer myself I personally wouldn't mind if someone added a cadenza to a concerto, should I ever write one, but as Anthony Barfield is still alive you should see if you can track down his email and ask.
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

Comment

• dsurkin
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
      [snip]This altering of tunes brings up something else. What about singers who sing a song written by someone who wrote the song and take liberties with the melody or rhythm or key or something else different from the original? [snip].
      Here's one for consideration: "What a Wonderful World" as sung by Louis Armstrong. The written melody to the first line "I see trees of green" is C-E-F-A-C. Armstrong sings C-C-F-F-C. I consider Armstrong's change to be brilliant and his rendition touches me like few other songs I've heard. There's also the 1931 recording of "Stardust" where he plays the melody mostly as written on the trumpet but when he sings the verse he sings most of it on the dominant and submediant.

John, I mostly agree with you: I've heard singers change melodies to suit their voices (avoiding difficult passages) or to suit their music taste (variable), and most of the time I think the changes are musically inferior. But whenever I hear Armstrong, I think, "that's right."
      Dean L. Surkin
      Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
      Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
      Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
      See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• John Morgan
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by dsurkin View Post
        Here's one for consideration: "What a Wonderful World" as sung by Louis Armstrong. The written melody to the first line "I see trees of green" is C-E-F-A-C. Armstrong sings C-C-F-F-C. I consider Armstrong's change to be brilliant and his rendition touches me like few other songs I've heard. There's also the 1931 recording of "Stardust" where he plays the melody mostly as written on the trumpet but when he sings the verse he sings most of it on the dominant and submediant.

John, I mostly agree with you: I've heard singers change melodies to suit their voices (avoiding difficult passages) or to suit their music taste (variable), and most of the time I think the changes are musically inferior. But whenever I hear Armstrong, I think, "that's right."
        You're right. I also love the Louie Armstrong version of "What a Wonderful World"! And I hadn't even noticed the change of the melody line, it just seemed so right.

Changing songs of course is really common in jazz and almost expected.

One of my all-time favorite songs is "Over the Rainbow", and I usually frown on any singers who change up the melody. But, I came across a version (changed) of this piece that I absolutely love. It is the Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole (or IZ for short) version of "Over the Rainbow". I first heard that song at the end of a movie that starred Sean Connery called "Finding Forrester". And I saw that movie in a theater, and this version of "Over the Rainbow" played after it ended. I usually book out of theaters when the show is over, but when I heard this piece, I couldn't move, it was so nice. I sat down and listened to the whole thing. So, there you go, just when I say I don't like songs changed from their original, you showed me one I do like, and I have this one.

And IZ also sings a version of "Over the Rainbow" mixed in with "What a Wonderful World". Imagine that! Go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Ooxpz0Eqk I really fell in love with his singing. Too bad he died way too young in his 30's. At one point, he weighed north of 700 pounds, and he died of respiratory failure.
        John Morgan
        The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
        Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
        1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
        Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
        Year Round Except Summer:
        Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
        KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
        Summer Only:
        Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
        Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• DaveBj
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by dsurkin View Post
          Yes, this happens all the time in popular music, and in gospel music as well. And it's not just singers; songwriters do it to their own material. One example -- Squire Parsons wrote "Sweet Beulah Land," a song that is known all over the Southern Gospel world. He has been singing it in his concerts for over 40 years, but nowadays his performed version is all over the place, in comparison with the published version.

I do the same thing when I play arrangements of gospel and pop songs. Typically I do the first verse-chorus straight, and then I start having fun. You can hear examples on my YT channel.

However, when I'm playing published works, I stick pretty much to the script. I did cut the cadenza out of the Capuzzi "Andante Moderato" (sorry, Dave), because I was having trouble with the timing of the recorded accompaniment.

But I do like cadenzas; I wrote two of them into my own original piece, "Uff-Da Polka". Do I play them as written? Umm . . . I don't really know
          David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
          2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
          2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
          2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
          Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
          Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DaveBj View Post
            However, when I'm playing published works, I stick pretty much to the script. I did cut the cadenza out of the Capuzzi "Andante Moderato" (sorry, Dave), because I was having trouble with the timing of the recorded accompaniment.
            No problem! My "living or dead" rule is only for adding a cadenza. I use my own discretion when deciding whether to modify a cadenza in a living composer's work. In that case, I try to stay with the overall "mood" of the original cadenza...most times.

As the captain said in "Pirates of the Caribbean" when he was called on a rule: "It's more of a guideline, really."
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• djwpe
              • Dec 2008

As the commissioner of the piece in question, I’m not terribly keen on the idea of adding a cadenza to an already long and difficult piece. But I passed the idea on to Anthony Barfield. I’ll follow up with his response if any.

Don

Comment

• Snorlax
                • Mar 2007

Speaking of modern non-warhorse compositions...If someone adds a cadenza to a piece of music and the cadenza turns out to be poor, the composer's reputation may be damaged if people hear the bad cadenza and decide not to buy/perform a piece based upon that. Rare as that might be, I'd hate to see a composer or a composer's estate lose even one sale because of someone else's lack of taste and discretion.
                I haven't played "warhorse" solos in 40 years or so, but when I did, I took liberties but always made reference to previous thematic material--to me, that should be the essence of a cadenza.
                Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• Nate.heron
                  • Jul 2019

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
                  As the commissioner of the piece in question, I’m not terribly keen on the idea of adding a cadenza to an already long and difficult piece. But I passed the idea on to Anthony Barfield. I’ll follow up with his response if any.

Don
                  Thank you for the help. One thing to note is that my band is only able to perform the first movement of the piece already because of time restraints (and frankly musicians ability.)

Comment

• Magikarp
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Nate.heron View Post
                    Thank you for the help. One thing to note is that my band is only able to perform the first movement of the piece already because of time restraints (and frankly musicians ability.)
                    I'd be playing a different piece then. Picking something too hard, is doing no justice to the composer, the soloist, the ensemble, or the presumably paying audience.

Play something easier, play it with breathtaking ease and panache, and blow them away. Nobody wants to hear a struggle.
                    Nowt

Retired

Comment

• djwpe
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nate.heron View Post
                      Anthony, Demondrae, and I touched base on this today. We all agree it’s a bad idea, and suggest that you don’t add the cadenza.

On another note, I don’t think the first movement stands alone well. The second and third do, and in fact, the second movement was written to be accessible so that I could perform it as a stand-alone piece (thanks, Anthony).

I also hope you’ve purchased the score and parts from Anthony for this performance?

Don

Comment

• Nate.heron
                        • Jul 2019

I'm sorry.

My group has been rehearsing the first movement for a couple of months now and that is what we will be performing. My director and I both agreed that the first movement sounded well enough to perform it on its own. We decided against the third movement because of the technical ability of the ensemble and against the second because as a mediocre high school band they don't have the key signature under their fingers.

I would like to reiterate that this is a high school ensemble and I am only 17 years old. This is not a grand performance with paying attendees, it's just a regular school concert.

With that said, yes I have purchased the piece from Mr. Barfield and I will not be including a cadenza in the performance.

Comment

• aroberts781
                          • Sep 2014

This has been a pretty interesting discussion to follow. I think it is great that people shared their ideas on cadenzas, and it is a really unique thing about this forum that this community was able to engage through Don with both the composer and Demondrae about their thoughts on the matter.

To Nate, best of luck with your performance! If I could give my high school self advice on a solo performance it would be practice it a lot, focus practice on the parts that you don't play well. Practice entering/exiting the stage, taking a bow, acknowledging the band afterwards, etc... as those are important flourishes that can enhance a solo performance from an audience perspective. And then play the piece as well as you can and present yourself and the group confidently!
                          1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
                          1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

Working...
                          X