Thread: Valve Guide supplier for Sterling Virtuoso

Valve Guide supplier for Sterling Virtuoso

Just dropped my new-to-me Sterling off for a check-up. I wanted the tech to check everything out, including a sticking tendency of the tuning slide. I saw at this workshop at his feet a Sterling waiting to be worked on. He told me the fellow wants to replace the valve guides that have worn down so much that the valve just spins when you put it in and doesn't have the "stop" a valve guide requires. I told him that Algirdas Matonis, a professional playwe whose go-to instrument is a Sterling Virtuoso say that the bane of his existence as a Sterling player are these valve guides that tend to wear down. The tech says he doesn't know of a supplier, so may have to fashion them himself for the fellow who put his Sterling in the shop. But he wondered if I knew of a supplier. I don't. But maybe some of you on the forum do. This fellow is a great guy and does incredible work, (Tague Music, Citrus Heights, CA) so I'd like to help him out. Especially now that he's a caretaker for my own "precious" Sterling Virtuoso.

Advice?
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

2. For the newer Sterling (post Bauerfeind) the valves come from the same mfg as JP (I believe). Take a look at the JP274/374 guides and see if that works. Earlier Bauerfeind horns use the same guides as Adams/Willson/Hirschbrunner
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band