Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Packer 274 and 374 review/comparison

Larger bell models generally sound a bit more broad.

Then again, you can only test that with two models that are the same aside from the bell (such as the Besson 967 vs 968).
    For example, comparing my Sovereign (12" bell) with my Willson 2960TA (12.5" bell) is not a good indication because they're different beasts altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJH View Post
    Larger bell models generally sound a bit more broad.
    Both the 274 and the 374 have 12” bells. (Different bores though)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3B20909-40C2-4814-98D2-88A8BDE8E1DE.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	9779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D34D866-4C50-48A7-93AC-4AFF52EC12E4.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	9780
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

That's true. I was also thinking of how the 374 has a different bell and leadpipe material (and as you note, bore size). I'm just curious how that will affect the sound (or not). Jupiter uses gold brass bells on a lot of their instruments (I have their flugelhorn and piccolo too) and I can't tell a particular difference. I've wondered if this is for sonic properties, because it reduces the chance of redrot, or some other reason.
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

This is what ACB has to say on the topic…

Quote Originally Posted by ACB website

• Yellow Brass: this bell is an excellent mix of materials for all-around work as this material is very versatile. The sound is clear and brilliant at all dynamic levels, with a good core and great projection.
    • Gold Brass: like the yellow brass bell this is a very versatile material - a near perfect blend of warmth and projection. The gold brass brings a depth to the sound which is very smooth, rich and dark, however it is still a lively and agile instrument. It responds quick and easy.
    • Red Brass: the Red Brass bell material is an ideal choice for the soloist who is looking for the richest, warmest, thickest sound available. Higher in copper content than our other two bell choices this provides the player with the smoothest transitions from note to note. Articulations are veiled (although with a lighter Red Brass bell option it is greatly improved) and sound shape is overall a bit wider in shape.
    • Sterling Silver: Sterling silver is a very versatile material but also much more dependent on the individual’s particular ability level. Therefore we recommend this bell option for the serious amateur or professional. The general characteristics are the bell is much darker.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

From what I’ve read of the various concentrations/percentages…

“High grade” brass = red brass
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

It was interesting to me for several reasons:
    -I do see gold brass offered as alternatives for trumpets by Yamaha and Jupiter (on Yamaha it's an option and Jupiter it's often by default, I think). I cannot hear a difference.
    -Silver leadpipes are rare on trumpet (the only maker I know that uses them is Carolbrass) and pure silver bells are super rare because they have a reputation for being really soft and also projecting differently
    -Red brass I've seen more often on flugelhorn bells but relatively rarely on trumpets or other instruments (I think Jupiter uses it for leadpipes)

I'm just curious what the sound will be like. My euphonium teacher recently compared more symphonic euphoniums to euphoniums that are used more in small ensembles. I'd imagine that there are desirable traits for soloists also, but I'm not familiar enough to know if that typology is true (i.e., is the 274 more for a large group and 374 more for soloists, or is the 374 just an upgraded 274).
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

I can probably get a few recordings in my "streaming" room today. (fairly small space with dampening tiles on the walls...use for live streaming conversational content... We'll see how bad things sound in there.)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Looking forward to your sound comparisons, iMav, but take it easy on the carpal tunnel issues. I have very fond memories of the sound, weight, and feel of the 274. I didn't mind the resistance and felt I blended in well with the band, even carried above it when it was needed. Also played it in a tuba euphonium trio (other euphonium had an older compensating Yamaha euphonium). It worked well in this small ensemble. I'll be getting my serviced Sterling back either end of this week or by Jan 9 (tech promise). I obviously won't be able to compare its sound to my distant memory of the 274, but with my minor run through of scales and Fantasie Brillante on the day it arrived, I don't think I'll ever be tempted to go with another horn, unless like Druby, the weightiness and resistance of it start to challenge my aging body too much, and then I would likely follow in the footsteps of the ADAMS enthusiasts (although as a glutton for punishment, I might lean toward the A2 rather than A3. I'd be tempted to go A1 with silver bell, but worried about its projection ability from the back of the concert bands I play in; wouldn't hesitate to use A1 with small ensembles).
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

9. In full disclosure, I own a few horns including the JP's. The 274 has an 11.8 in bell and the 374 has a 12.24 in bell. I'm always hesitant to talk about what I have, lol. I feel like my collection is a bit much to own. But, I'm fine with it!

What's interesting to me is that the bores can be different sizes in different horns of the same brand.

Huh. So John Packer outright lies about the bell sizes on their website?
    (editorial issue perhaps?)

Guess I need to go grab at least a string to verify they are different. (Not that I don’t trust you…I just figure I should check personally if it goes against what the vendor says.)
    Last edited by iMav; 12-22-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast