Thread: Valve and slide cleaning

Valve and slide cleaning

Does anyone use brasso on your slides and valves?

I haven't but have seen a video of someone using Brasso on their slides - not valves. I'd be afraid it would remove some brass and then the slides would become loose.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks, Rick

I would not use Brasso. It is quite abrasive, and in the military we used to use it to remove the lacquer from our brass belt buckles when they got scratched.

Flitz is much better, and I use it frequently on my tuning slides. It really keeps them smooth without wearing them down! See this photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polished Slide Half Done.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	9728

You can also use it now and then to fix a valve issue, and I discuss in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfZ5TIlizw

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've been using Alisyn spray on my valves, which seems to do a good job. Another question while I'm at it: I didn't buy my Adams custom E-1 new,
    so the valves had use. Is it necessary for the valves to be completely shiney? There are some dark areas, but they're clean and move easily after oiling. I have it chem cleaned once a year, and the last tech who cleaned it told me the chemicals can sometimes cause some darkening, but that doesn't harm the valve. Is he right?
    Last edited by Roger; 12-17-2022 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've been using Alisyn spray on my valves, which seems to do a good job. Another question while I'm at it: I didn't buy my Adams custom E-1 new,
    so the valves had use. Is it necessary for the valves to be completely shiney? There are some dark areas, but they're clean and move easily after oiling. I have it chem cleaned once a year, and the last tech who cleaned it told me the chemicals can sometimes cause some darkening, but that doesn't harm the valve. Is he right?
    I don't see any need for polishing the pistons if they work smoothly and dependably. If that's the case, then the discoloration you see is apparently just what the tech described and is not adding any friction to the movement.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, David.

I have used Brasso on occasion as a lapping compound. But in general I prefer a real lapping compound that is higher quality and not so aggressive. Think about that for a moment before you apply it to any of your slides -- even if you want to lap them.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)